Hi from Voßfeld in Germany

Quote:
Berlin is about hour and half drive. Rostock about an hour. We are in the middle of noware. Nearest shop is 12 km away. Same with schools

My husband was stationed in Berlin when he was in the army. I loved Germany.
welcome-byc.gif

So come back and pay us a visit. I also love Germany and the people. Never thought being English they would be so nice to me but fantasic people.

There is a rare breed that originated in Germany that I really, really like... it's called a Vorwerk.

I've never actually seen one in the flesh - I don't think they are available in the U.S. (I've looked). But, since, you are actually in Germany, you might be able to find some if you decide you like them.

I just love the way they look, especially when there is a clean and clear differentiation between the gold body and the black neck and tail.
BurghardtGruppe1.jpg

0309%20Vorwerk%2005.jpg

(pictures from this website)

Here's some information on them from Feathersite (a sort of online chicken encyclopedia of breeds if you hadn't found Feathersite yet)

A links I got from Feathersite for A Vorwerk conservation flock in Germany

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes I've seen these advertized and now having seen your pictures it's got me thinking. Think I should be ready for the first chickens in about two weeks if all goes well. Many thanks.

If you up for me talking more, read on...We have our light on a timer, it comes on at 6am until 8am, then again at 7pm until 9pm. This gives them the required 14hrs of daylight for producing eggs. I feel that it also gives them 9 hrs of night. You might not choose to do that, it is not a must do.
We also have snow fence covering our run so the predators we have are not climbing or jumping over the top.
We will have a heat bulb for the extremely cold nights (below zero)
Our fence is buried into the ground a ways with another strip of fence under about 6" of dirt parallel? to the perimeter fence. That stops animals from digging underneath.
Let us know what you decided to get, pics would be really nice
big_smile.png

wilkommen ! mein familie kommt aus Ost Deutschland.
smile.png

my Opa had chickens so i think i get my chicken rearing gene from him.
smile.png

Quote:
We are also East Germany and finding it very hard to buy any chickens within 100km of us:(

my grandparents lived over near dresden. but that was a long time ago, i have no clue where one would find chickens now. i think my other family has some, but they are near the black forest, so quite a long way from you. i hope you can find some. if not, maybe you could find hatching eggs?

Welcome!!
hugs.gif
frow.gif
Orpingtons will lay all year long without extending the "day-light" hours. You are so lucky as you can get colors of breeds that are not available to us here in the states.
I am sure you will find other breeds that will also lay all year long without the extra lighting.
We are so happy to meet you.

Quote:
Yes I've seen these advertized and now having seen your pictures it's got me thinking. Think I should be ready for the first chickens in about two weeks if all goes well. Many thanks.

I have 12 eggs in the inci of these i hope they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom