Hi from Wyoming

Janedi

In the Brooder
May 25, 2024
Hi! Glad to be here. I live in rural Wyoming and have been raising chickens for almost 7 years. Currently have a flock of 35ish free-ranging layers (various breeds), along with a mess of broilers and my daughters’ 4h bantams.
We are considering moving onto a 1/4 acre in town, so I’d love advice on keeping poultry there.

Hello and Welcome to BYC. Glad to have you here in this poultry lovers community. You need to talk to code enforcement in the town you would be moving too. Some small towns allow 4 hens and some even roosters. Some allow none. Times have change and some place wage war on chickens sadly enough.
According to my research, our town has no restrictions on poultry as long as they are kept humanely and not in a way that is disruptive or annoying to neighbors.

Welcome to BYC! I keep a small flock on a city lot around that size and have fun with it. I think the biggest thing is checking the ordinances for the county/municipality you're considering. My city has straightforward regulations and allow up to 10 hens (no roosters), but it varies quite a lot from place to place. HOAs can implement further restrictions as well.

Sharing eggs with neighbors has been helpful since I know they can hear my chickens.

Welcome to BYC! I keep a small flock on a city lot around that size and have fun with it. I think the biggest thing is checking the ordinances for the county/municipality you're considering. My city has straightforward regulations and allow up to 10 hens (no roosters), but it varies quite a lot from place to place. HOAs can implement further restrictions as well.

Sharing eggs with neighbors has been helpful since I know they can hear my chickens.
I’ve researched our town’s code and from what I can tell there are no restrictions on number of birds or even roosters as long as they are kept humanely and in a way that is not annoying or disruptive.

Back
Top Bottom