hi i am new and need help

paulac

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 5, 2012
i got some quail eggs from ebay and hatched them myself everything went ok and we had very strong chicks but at 1 week old they both dropped there wings and 5 hours later they were both dead
he.gif
right up till this point they were talking and happy and eating and drinking lots . i have been told that i need to give the chicks something called SL50 for the first 7 weeks is this true? did they die because i did not do this i dont understand why i lost them when they were so contented.
i have more due in 2 weeks and dont want the same thing to happen please what do i do and do i need to give them anything if so where do i get it.
thankyou

the shop gave me chick crumb un medicated from fancy feed company it was the only one they had protein 19% fibre 4% oil 4% ash 6% they havent got wet or cold the brooder was running on 32 c i had a chick mat on the flaw it was a very big brooder for 2 button quails . not shure what to do next

It would help if you feed them the game bird starter, it is higher in protien. I think here it is 28 percent. I also think the medicated it better. If there are any issues it can help them from the get go.. Also you can put some sugar in their water to help give them energy.
Make sure they not only stay warn, but they can't get too hot either. Put a thermometor in where they are so that you can make sure they are not too warm or too cool.
Good Luck

thankyou i will give this a try.
does this work with chicken chicks too i have some comeing next week?

Yes, I use the game starter for all my chicks and I always add about a 1/4 cup of sugar to a quart of water for their first jug of water. Just the 1st jar of water though. I don't think they need it after that. Also be sure to dip their beaks in the water to get them their first drink of water. Some just don't have a clue, others learn without help.

thankyou you have been so much help i could hug you i will give this a try and thankyou again so much.

No problem, good luck. If you have any more questions. Please post them, I will do my best to answer them. I wish I would have had someone to ask, back when I fist started. I had to learn the hard way. Alot of trial and error..

Back
Top Bottom