Hi...I'm new here

tray777tulip

Songster
Jan 4, 2019
South Africa
Hi everyone.
I've had chickens now for about 7 months and they've all grown well and are healthy and happy. I have 19 boschvelders and a few hatchlings on the way and two Silkies. The Silkies are younger than the boschvelders but they're all getting along.
It's been an interesting and entertaining journey so far as I've never had chickens before. I could sit for hours watching them run around catching bugs and scratching the ground. And the dust baths are soooo cute.
I found BYC while browsing for answers to my MANY questions when i just started out and the advice I've read on this forum has been very helpful. ..thanks.
I do have a concern about my silkie hen...some of my boschvelders have laid fertile eggs in her coop and she's become broody and is sitting on the eggs...she's barely 5 months old...should i leave her to hatch the eggs or take them from her?

Thanks,
T

Welcome! That's up to you! And, are the eggs fertile? I've had Silkies..a lot. I've certainly found them hard to break. They love being mom's..love it. If you don't want chicks, or want her sitting for no reason, you can get a cage and try to break her. Someone may have different methods. I've taken them off of the nest to be sure they eat and drink .. and make that nasty poo. But, they will go back. You can try that for three weeks.

Hello and :welcome! You have found a great source for information on everything chickens and all other pets and hobbies! I believed your question has been answered but I’ll agree with everyone’s previous statements. Her instincts should be there so if you’d want her to hatch chicks, leave her to sit! If you don’t want chicks this time of year or right now for any reason, remove the ASAP. There’s answers to everything you’ll need here at BYC but don’t be afraid to ask questions, everyone is very kind and helpful!

byc-chicken-family.png

Silkies are pretty notorious for going broody and do make wonderful moms. How many roosters do you have? 19 pullets seems like a lot for just 1 cockerel to handle... unless you have more, all those eggs may not be fertile. Just taking the eggs away might not be enough to break her, many broodies will sit on invisible eggs if they feel like it. If you do decide to let her sit and try to hatch, maybe mark the eggs and don't let any new ones get added... you don't want a staggered hatch.
Best wishes with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom