Hi I'm Tarina and I am a new chicken mom

tthomas76

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2023
I started with four Mullens and two got out and lost during a storm, So I had two left, I just added two RI Red hens and a roo, and two silkie hens and a roo. My mother laughed at me when I said I was getting chickens because I was terrorized by chickens when I was young. LOL but I love these guys, I hand feed them and they also roam free over the property all day long. I have two cats and a stray that also keep watch over them. Today I went out after opening the run and my RI Roo was just laying there almost lifeless. I have been trying all day to get him to eat, he is standing on his own now and I have been able to feed him some egg and cheese, and some high protein flock feed, as well as water. His poop is watery and white. I was trying to find a poop guide to see what might be wrong with him, and suggestions would be super helpful. And no none of the other chickens are exhibiting these symptoms they all seem very well.

I started with four Mullens and two got out and lost during a storm, So I had two left, I just added two RI Red hens and a roo, and two silkie hens and a roo. My mother laughed at me when I said I was getting chickens because I was terrorized by chickens when I was young. LOL but I love these guys, I hand feed them and they also roam free over the property all day long. I have two cats and a stray that also keep watch over them. Today I went out after opening the run and my RI Roo was just laying there almost lifeless. I have been trying all day to get him to eat, he is standing on his own now and I have been able to feed him some egg and cheese, and some high protein flock feed, as well as water. His poop is watery and white. I was trying to find a poop guide to see what might be wrong with him, and suggestions would be super helpful. And no none of the other chickens are exhibiting these symptoms they all seem very well.
Welcome to BYC!!

How old is he? Try to get him drinking some fluids with sugar or electrolytes. Hold it up to his beak. Is he is lethargic, puffed up, with runny poops, treating for coccidiosis with Corid may be something you would want to do. Does he seem bullied by the others? Mix some wet feed and water in a small bowl to offer him.

Welcome To BYC :frow

I'm sorry you're having troubles. If you can answer the questions asked along with posting some photos of your chickens and their poop, it would be helpful.

Thanks!

So he is standing and more alert. I'm sorry I cleaned him up before I saw I had a response. As soon as he poops again ill post. It is somewhat chucky but mostly watery brown with a green tint. I've started the coconut oil as he is gasping for air. But when I feel his crop he feels thin as bone don't feel an impact. Could it be in his neck? And if so how do I get that out. Thank you so much for all the help.

Attachments

• 20231104_092539.jpg
    20231104_092539.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231104_092549.jpg
    20231104_092549.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom