Hi new to the meat bird rearing

Rob72

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2019
hi would it be possible to rear meat birds on grain alone and would it affect there growth rate thanks

chicken feed is mainly grain with vitamins and minerals add so it is complete

wry neck, leg problems are a couple issues to look out
No, it isn't possible to raise meat birds on grains only. You need to feed them a balanced grower diet or else they will quickly develop problems, and die.
ok thanks for the information will stick to growers

I had very good luck raising my Cornish X. I fed them broiler feed (starter, grower, and finisher) when I could find it and turkey feed (starter, grower, and finisher) when I couldn't. If you are raising dual purpose chickens for meat you need a less high performance feed than you need for the Cornish X, but straight grain is not a balanced diet.

If I may, I'd like to say that no, straight grain is insufficient. Growing feed can be insufficient as well, in my experience specifically leg and muscular issues. When I get Cornish chicks I put a few drops of a vitamin B supplement in their water. Once or twice a week seems to stave any potential problems. I use a b complex liquid I found at CVS. Others may not feel its necessary and maybe it isn't, IDK. But I haven't had any issues since I started doing this.

hi would it be possible to rear meat birds on grain alone and would it affect there growth rate thanks
The Cornish X are bred to grow fast and reach butcher weight in a short period of time. To do that, they need the proper food and plenty of it. I had good success with my Cornish X and had very few leg issues. I fed them broiler feed (starter, grower, finisher) when I could get it and turkey feed (starter, grower, finisher) when I couldn't. I also added Broiler Booster to their water. It is available from Murray McMurray hatchery and it really seems to help. The Cornish X is probably the best meat chicken ever, but they do have their quirks. If a person isn't willing/able to deal with those quirks, they are better off with a different chicken.

Back
Top Bottom