Hi there Another Kiwi joins the flock :)

Lindy loo

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2016
Hi I am rapt to find a site with good quality info on caring for chooks. I have had chooks in the past, but this month lost 3 in a row, and the rest just dont seem to be thriving. :( I feel like the worst chook owner on earth at the moment, it doesnt seem to matter what I do, there is no improvement! I have never had these problems before with chooks, Im not sure if there is something on the new property we moved to that doesnt agree with them, or what. At the moment I am seriously considering moving the coop to another part of the property as I dont know, instinct tells me theres something in the soil where they are. Feels like the place is cursed lol. Any way, Hello! I will probably be asking lots of questions in the near future :) <3

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear about your recent loses. I see you have already posted in the emergency section, I'm sure if you give as much info as possible over there members will be able help you. Symptoms of what birds are suffering from will really help.

Good luck and I hope you are able find out what happened.
Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us, but sorry to hear about your frustrations. I wonder if chickens have been kept there in the past? If not, I'd similarly wonder if its possible to find out what kind of activities / land uses used to take place there?

I was going to suggest posting on the ER thread, but i have just read the post from Y/Coop.

Best of luck
CT

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I'd recommend posting a full account of the birds who died and any symptoms or potential issues you've seen in the emergencies/injuries/diseases forum. Include absolutely anything you think is relevant. Remember to include details about your flock including ages, breeds, amount of birds, etc.

Hi and Welcome to BYC! You know i don't think there is a NZ thread yet so you might want to make one (only if you wish too) in the where am i where are you section by clicking here!

Wow, sorry about your troubles. Good luck on figuring it out. Moving them, good idea, see how they do. If they don't get better, then look at the food you are giving them. Fresh? No mold? Just a thought. If you are in a new area, maybe you are getting bad feed now? Hoping you figure it out.

Thanks!
The previous owner did have chooks, but the coop is pretty gloomy. The ground is quite damp :(
She lived on the property for about 25 years, so its very strange that the chooks have become unhealthy. The only thing I can think of is that we had wild turkeys that hung around for a few months before leaving and now have two wild peacocks that have arrived. I did wonder if it was possible they may have picked something up from the wild birds. Also wild quails that are about the size of footballs due to binging on the chooks left overs lol

Back
Top Bottom