Southern Chicken Tender

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Hey everyone, Melody here! AKA Southern Chicken Tender šŸ™ƒ

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We are about a year in! We started with chicks from Tractor Supply last spring. Long story short, we let them free range and they free ranged themselves into neighboring land..... SO round 2: we went to a local chicken swap and got a few more hens and a rooster that was free (we see why he was free, but we love him and named him Spunky!), and then got several more hens from a friend. Our coop now has a large enclosed area for them to range and forage in, and is covered to keep predators out.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Currently, we have 11 chickens - 10 hens and a rooster
(3) What breeds do you have?
Assorted - 2 normal sized and 9 bantam
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
They are entertaining, exciting, and have personality. We also enjoy the success of gathering eggs and hope to soon begin hatching chicks. I love watching their different characteristics begin to show as they grow from chicks into mature adult chickens.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We also have young ducks in a newly built duck garden with a pond. Non-related hobbies are traveling, building/renovating, woodworking, blogging, mid-way through a skoolie conversion, interior and exterior design, mission and church related activities
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We are a couple in our late 20s, and live in south Alabama. We live in the home I (Melody) grew up in that my dad built himself in the 80s. We are very blessed with family in our area, a wonderful piece of property and a life we love. We have two dogs, several roaming cats, 2 young ducks and 11 chickens. I currently work full time, but in the future have hopes of owning our own small business and blogging full time. John, my better half, works for a local landscape company, and in his spare time makes all my creative ideas come to life. We are very Faith-driven and enjoy missionary work and have hopes of adoption and foster care in the future. We are blessed with a beautiful life, and we are always looking for our next adventure.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC when I first got our chicks about a year ago and I was looking at ideas for our chicken coop and feeding systems. Many searches after that related to our chickens lead me to the site, and most recently when we got our ducks I ended up here once again on the conversations about duck ponds. That was when I knew we would fit in just fine. ā˜ŗ

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! šŸ”

Feel free to drop in and share your flock

Updates for 2020 with us here in my 2020 flock life thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2020-flock-life.1351080/

B3E02CC6-3180-493D-A597-3CC33C6ED8A6.jpeg

Itā€™s nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom