Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Playford Flats Farm, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Playford Flats Farm

Playford Flats Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2017
    So I guess I have to introduce myself. I’m Emma! I’m fifteen and I got chickens almost as therapy animals.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I built my coop and bought my first seven chickens at the very beginning of September 2017.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Right now I have 19 chickens. Two are 8 week old pullets, one is an 8 week old cockerel, one is a 25 week old cockerel, and the rest are hens anywhere from 25 weeks to about a year old.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 6 mix breeds, ranging from two breeds together to complete mutts. I also have one light Brahma, two Batam buff Brahmas, a chocolate Ameraucana, two Australorps, a Jersey Giant, a bantam splash Orpington, two non bearded Silkies, and three Easter Eggers.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Before I acquired my first chickens, I researched breeds, disease, coop conditions, food, etc. It was inevitable that I found this site.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love reading and writing. I also camp frequently, so kayaking is something I enjoy.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live with my mother, sister and grandparents.
    I own a Siamese X and a Border Collie/Golden Retriever.
    I currently attend High School.
    I have plans to pursue a career in creative writing or K-9 Police work.

I guess that’s it. I may be fairly new to chickens, but I dare say I have a a fairly vast knowledge of what I’m doing. :woot

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Emma :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

3. Hope Hughes

Hope Hughes Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hello:frow
    Welcome to BYC!!
    So glad to have you here!!
    Thanks for sharing your story!!
    There are many people on here that are ready to help in anyway they can!
    The learning center also has alot of great information on it as well!
    Enjoy!:wee

4. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Hello Emma So glad you joined Backyard Chickens you will find several your own age here and lots of us old folks

5. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole Premium Member

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here Emma!

If you haven't yet, please make your chickens a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise.
    It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it! :D

PS. Keep an eye out for @21hens-incharge .. she is a chicken math enabler... and it looks like you already got it down pat! :lau

6. Stayc

Stayc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2017
    Keysville Virginia
    Hello Emma :frow welcome to BYC!!:weeglad to have ya!!

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Welcome to BYC. I got my first chickens when I was 12. Started with Bantams hatched in school incubator, and added several LF, and a broiler hen who fell off a processing truck. Had my first broody during that time frame. That was 5 decades ago!

8. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge True BYC Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Did someone say "chicken math"???
    I loves some good ole chicken math!! :gig

Welcome Emma! This is a really great place. The folks are friendly that's for certain!

Always glad to see new members. :celebrate

9. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Overrun With Chickens

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    Welcome to BYC!!!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Emma, welcome to BYC. I wish you continued good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by