High Desert, California!!

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
Hey all! This thread is intended for those of us in the High Desert area of So. California to get to know each other. Where is the high desert? Traditionally, it is considered south of the Sierra Nevada Range and east of the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains and all the way over to the Nevada/California Stateline.

Areas include (but not limited to):

Victor Valley and Barstow area (Hesperia, Victorville, Apple Valley, Landers, Lucerne Valley, Phelan, Pinon Hills, Oak Hills, Summit Valley, Oro Grande, Helendale, Barstow, Hinkley, Newberry Springs, Adelanto, Llano, Valyermo, Wrightwood, and many more I forgot!)

Palmdale, Lancaster, Edwards AFB area (Lancaster, Palmadale, North Edwads AFB, Lake Los Angeles, Little Rock, etc)

Inyokern/Ridgecrest area (Inyokern, Ridgecrest, China Lake, etc)

and other surrounding areas (Tehachapi, Baker, Death Valley, etc)

I apologize if I missed mentioning your town...there are many to list and I went off of what I could think of off the top of my head. Maybe you used to live here?? Post!! Us HD folks are pretty friendly!
big_smile.png

NOTE: THIS IS NOT MEANT TO TAKE THE PLACE OF THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA THREAD ! IF YOU HAVE NOT POSTED THERE YET, PLEASE CHECK IT OUT AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF! WE HAVE HAD CHICKENSTOCK EVENTS (MEET-UPS/BBQs) THAT ARE LISTED ON THAT THREAD. ADDITIONALLY, THERE ARE MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE TO MEET THAT LIVE IN THE INLAND EMPIRE, LA, OC AND SAN DIEGO AREAS THAT ARE ON THAT THREAD!

As for me...I live in Hesperia. I was raised in Phelan (as well as Nevada as my family moved around), but most of my life has been in the high desert in one way or another. The number of chickens varies, but currently my husband and I have 16 hens. I work in Orange, but wouldn't trade my commute to live closer to the office (not to mention I do field work, so I travel anyway). I love my country life up here and live the people!
smile.png

I am so glad you started this thread! I am over in North Edwards just outside of Edwards AFB. It is a tiny chicken friendly town. We have over 50 chickens! Yay for being zoned for live stock! We also have 2 goats. We are here because my Dh is a Marine and we were stationed her 3 years ago. We do love our small town!

Last edited:
Palmdale/Littlerock here!

I am in love with the serene beauty of the mojave desert and wouldn't want to live anywhere else! (Visit yes, live - no!)

Peafowl, Guinea, Chickens, Turkey, etc
80+ birds and growing!

Last edited:
I'm in Hesperia too. Love living in the desert. Not a fan of the heat in the summers, but I love the nice cool winters, occasional snow and I love that I can stretch out my arms and not touch a neighbors house.

I'll take the desert and a commute for a cookie cutter matchbox size home somewhere else anytime.

Hello everyone... So glad for a High Desert thread!!!!.... I'm in Oak Hills, been in the desert for about 20 years now and even though it has grown and changed, there is still open space. I have to agree with Desertbird ...there is nothing like streaching out and not touching you neighbor .... and while we might be little warm in the summer, rarely is it hot and muggy like DTH (down the hill). Not sure if anyone was out early yesterday morning but the cold/damp air rolled in and the desert smelled sooooo good!!!

I dont know that I could ever live DTH again
barnie.gif

Congratulations on you new Dave Anderson Polish trio. They are gorgeous ! Dave had donated a pair for the Victorville Show also and I wanted them so much until the bidding went out of my price range. Instead I bought a pair of white showgirls which will just be pets. But a trio of Dave Anderson is certainly worth the cost even though a luxury for me until I have the space to have a larger flock.

Oh yes, I live in Ridgecrest and love the dry desert but plan to move to a larger area in Inyokern. I doubt that I could move toward the coastal zone and have always loved lots of my own space surrounding my place.

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
I always here out it is SOOOO hot up here and why would I ever want to live here?!?! Uhhhh....we warm up later in the spring than DTH (more spring weather here) and cool down earlier (shorter summer) than DTH. AND when we are the same temp as DTH, we aren't muggy. PLUS, we get clear skies, raw land (oppose to concrete/asphalt), etc and it is all for a cheaper price than DTH.
big_smile.png
I LOVE it! I would like to move closer to Pinon Hills near the 138/Hwy 2 area someday (or upto in the mtns a little), but I will never move DTH. I can see why some people like it down there, but they are for the same reasons why those people wouldn't like it up here (city life, shorter commute, etc). Those differences are what make society so beautiful!! I'm a desert rat and proud of it.

Last edited:
Gota post about my pet Showgirls. I have the pair in their own run because well you know they might not mix well with the LF. I am incubating some Am bantams so they have company. Little MIss Priss is docile and allows me to pick her up. I only get to see my birds once a day because they live in a neighbors backyard but that is another story. Everytime I see them the male is outside pecking around but she is inside the coop. If I bring treats she will come out but as soon as the male tries to mate her she has a fit and runs back up the ramp. She will not have anything to do with him. Yesterday I moved them to a larger run and coop adjacent to the LF and very quickly that little guy is out there flapping his wings doing his dance. Meanwhile the Wellie girls, the big Orp, the EE and Brabanter pullet are staring at him through the fence. And then the big Orp is giving him the stink eye and he is staring back. They were having a contest. It was a hoot. My LF are endearing but these two little birds are just the funniest two I've ever had.

thumbsup.gif
. I'm with you "proud desert rat" I even love my dirt roads. Seems only people that "have to drive on them" go by the house. So that reduces traffic to just my neighbors. I did live over by the 138/2 area about 15 years ago and it was good.

Back
Top Bottom