High Desert, California!!

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
Hey all! This thread is intended for those of us in the High Desert area of So. California to get to know each other. Where is the high desert? Traditionally, it is considered south of the Sierra Nevada Range and east of the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains and all the way over to the Nevada/California Stateline.

Areas include (but not limited to):

Victor Valley and Barstow area (Hesperia, Victorville, Apple Valley, Landers, Lucerne Valley, Phelan, Pinon Hills, Oak Hills, Summit Valley, Oro Grande, Helendale, Barstow, Hinkley, Newberry Springs, Adelanto, Llano, Valyermo, Wrightwood, and many more I forgot!)

Palmdale, Lancaster, Edwards AFB area (Lancaster, Palmadale, North Edwads AFB, Lake Los Angeles, Little Rock, etc)

Inyokern/Ridgecrest area (Inyokern, Ridgecrest, China Lake, etc)

and other surrounding areas (Tehachapi, Baker, Death Valley, etc)

I apologize if I missed mentioning your town...there are many to list and I went off of what I could think of off the top of my head. Maybe you used to live here?? Post!! Us HD folks are pretty friendly!
big_smile.png

NOTE: THIS IS NOT MEANT TO TAKE THE PLACE OF THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA THREAD ! IF YOU HAVE NOT POSTED THERE YET, PLEASE CHECK IT OUT AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF! WE HAVE HAD CHICKENSTOCK EVENTS (MEET-UPS/BBQs) THAT ARE LISTED ON THAT THREAD. ADDITIONALLY, THERE ARE MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE TO MEET THAT LIVE IN THE INLAND EMPIRE, LA, OC AND SAN DIEGO AREAS THAT ARE ON THAT THREAD!

As for me...I live in Hesperia. I was raised in Phelan (as well as Nevada as my family moved around), but most of my life has been in the high desert in one way or another. The number of chickens varies, but currently my husband and I have 16 hens. I work in Orange, but wouldn't trade my commute to live closer to the office (not to mention I do field work, so I travel anyway). I love my country life up here and live the people!
smile.png

Hello all! My name is Ashley! I am Alabama born and raised, but I live in Adelanto! My husband and I have 5 hens, one rooster, 4 chicks that we bought at the feed store and we are hatching our first batch of eggs!

thumbsup.gif
. I'm with you "proud desert rat" I even love my dirt roads. Seems only people that "have to drive on them" go by the house. So that reduces traffic to just my neighbors. I did live over by the 138/2 area about 15 years ago and it was good.

A few of us from the California Poultry People are getting together out in Neenach to practice processing some birds together Saturday. I think some of them are here. If it's a success, perhaps it would be a good thing to do from here as well. Right now, I'm a big time newbie, only having processed five birds. But I've learned a lot, so we'll see how it goes. I know there are quite a few desert rats who would like to learn to get away from eating the supermarket chickens.

Quote:

I'm sorta close...in Acton :)
Awesome. I live off of Wilson Ranch.
Nice, I live in Willowbrook, CA
Mojave, CA. Yes, people actually live here.
wink.png
LOL.... Not in your highdesert but I have family in the Mojave.... Ridgecrest and Inyokern. I am in the San Diego High Desert. Near the border. Hey HI Hillflower.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom