High Desert, California!!

Hi. I am new to BYC! I am in West Palmdale. My family has 10 acres and large coop in Acont but I would like to have a small backyard coop at my house. I have a large area on the side of my house that would be perfect but I don't think I am zoned for chickens. Does anyone know what happens if you aren't zoned? Thanks.

Welcome to BYC! I'm in Lancaster. Pretty sure you're zoned. Do a check for Palmdale city codes and put 'poultry' in the search. We're allowed 12 in the city here.

Okay I talked to the Lancaster Animal Shelter and they said if we keep them clean and the neighbor on the side doesn't mind it should not be an issue. So what are the best backyard chickens for egg production? Also what is the best feed and should I put anything to cover the ground? The ground on the side tends to run a little moist.

Mine aren't laying yet, but New Hampshires and Rhode Island Reds are known to be great layers. There are soooo many good laying breeds though.

Are you actually in Lancaster or Palmdale? Either way I would be cautious and try to find out from your city zoning office if you are allowed. I bought my coop from some guys who had been told it 'would be fine.' It was fine for about 6 months til someone called the city on them. They had to get rid of everything, and they were heartbroken. Not to mention the money they had spent on the coop and stuff.

If you are in Lancaster, here's the person at the city zoning office that I have called in the past to check on issues like this. He's super helpful.

Christopher Aune
Assistant Planner
Planning Department
P: 661.723.6123
F: 661.723.5926
[email protected]

Regarding good breeds, I love my Ameracaunas but they are noisy....very very chatty girls. And loud about it, too. My buff orpingtons are super friendly, quiet (tho they do sing a quiet little egg song sometimes to announce how proud they are of themselves) and good layers. My Barred Rock is so inquisitive. Also a good layer and follows me everywhere. Only peeps a little when she sees me. My Rhode Island Red is kindof mean (we call her "Angry Red"), but I think it's just her. I've never heard that about others. They all seem to do well with the climate here. I do have a jersey giant, and she's quiet and a good layer, but I think the heat is hard on her in the summer. She seems to suffer more than most with it...doing a lot of panting and stuff. I've heard that the larger, giant breeds have more trouble with heat and it sure seems true in her case.

Hope that helps.

Okay I talked to the Lancaster Animal Shelter and they said if we keep them clean and the neighbor on the side doesn't mind it should not be an issue. So what are the best backyard chickens for egg production? Also what is the best feed and should I put anything to cover the ground? The ground on the side tends to run a little moist.
Get chickens that can handle the heat there are lots of breeds that are good egg layers yet handle the heat well. And I am coming to realize in my own area I need to have chickens with rose combs. My Wellie roos got frost bite on their combs and wattles. Rose combs are smaller and fleshier and closer to their heads...

Take a look at Hendersons Chicken chart to get INFO overload..... LOL. On the breeds and temperments and climates.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

There are even photos on some of the links.

deb

Just realized no one answered your question about feed or bedding. I buy feed at Hemme on Sierra HWY. I also buy wood shavings/shred there for our run, scratch for a winter-time treat and hay for our peacock pen. I like Van Dam in QH (new store on 50th), too. You just want to make sure you have the right feed for the age of your chickens. I use a fairly high protein feed for layers since all my girls are laying or point of lay. My preference is King's Show and Grow (thanks to advice from other veteran chicken ppl) but they have lots of options.

I keep my coop lined with sand, so I can easily clean out their poo with a cat litter scoop. Limits smell and improves cleanliness, which might matter to you if you are trying to keep neighbors happy. My coop is raised above the ground, which you might want to consider if your ground is wet/damp. Under the coop is their watering system and food, so there's not a lot of wasted space. Since we basically have desert dirt in their run, I line it with wood shred/shavings, which I only change out once or twice a year. Since they free-range most of the day it stays pretty clean.

I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom