High Desert, California!!

I also have a raised coop and use straw for bedding ( also buy it from Hemme). I have some straw out in the run over the dirt, more than I'd like too because the girls like kicking the straw out of the coop! I am about to transition everyone over to layer feed. I ferment their feed also.

I also have a raised coop, but I use wood shavings for the "bedding". I find it easier than straw, I just scoop the "poop lumps" from under the roosts and stir the sawdust around a bit (between total replacement). I buy the shavings cheaply from Foxfeed (about $10 and lasts all winter.), My coop has a removable wooden flooring, underneath is a very heavy duty mesh - actually more of a cross hatch steel than mesh - so in summer I remove the wooden floor - then no bedding is needed - and extra ventilation helps stop it becoming an oven in the coop (which is only 4' X 3')

Does anyone have fertile eggs? My xmas gift incubator arrives next week and I'd like to test it with some dependable, local eggs. I'd be happy to hatch eggs for anyone and give you the chicks back once they hatch if you want some babies?

I can accomodate 20 standard eggs, but don't need to do that many. Its a Brinsea Octo 20 with humidity, so it *should* be a successful hatch--but I can't be sure since I've not used it before.

I'm in Quartz Hill/Antelope Valley area but am happy to drive to Valencia/Mojave/etc.

Anyone?

Not to beat a dead horse, but stop over at Odyssey Ranch at 90th West between E and D. Wayne and Barbara will set you up. I have some of theirs and some of mine in the incubator now, and we'll see about hatch rates. Tomorrow is 7 days, and I'm planning on candling then.

Richard in Neenach

Does anyone have fertile eggs? My xmas gift incubator arrives next week and I'd like to test it with some dependable, local eggs. I'd be happy to hatch eggs for anyone and give you the chicks back once they hatch if you want some babies?

I can accomodate 20 standard eggs, but don't need to do that many. Its a Brinsea Octo 20 with humidity, so it *should* be a successful hatch--but I can't be sure since I've not used it before.

I'm in Quartz Hill/Antelope Valley area but am happy to drive to Valencia/Mojave/etc.

Anyone?

If you want Ameraucana or Orpingtons, look up NoseyChickens here on BYC (or Tricia Olivera on FB), she is in Edwards, and will sell hatching eggs. Nice lady, does well at shows, good stock, fair prices). You can also PM me for contact info.

Thanks! I know Tricia from another list and I already have a quad of her Ameraucanas. They are lovely. She's a nice person, too, which makes working with her especially fun.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Not to beat a dead horse, but stop over at Odyssey Ranch at 90th West between E and D. Wayne and Barbara will set you up. I have some of theirs and some of mine in the incubator now, and we'll see about hatch rates. Tomorrow is 7 days, and I'm planning on candling then.

Richard in Neenach
Hi Richard. I did talk to them and I may end up with their eggs. They sure have a variety of breeds right now. What did you get from them? And did you give up on the TJ's fertile eggs? I can't remember hearing how your 2nd hatch went with them?

I have a hatch under my broody hen right now, due 2/13 so I'm on day 11. I can't beleive your self-control in candling. Every night when I lock up the coop, I can't help but pull at least one out from under her to see what's going on! :)

Hi Richard. I did talk to them and I may end up with their eggs. They sure have a variety of breeds right now. What did you get from them? And did you give up on the TJ's fertile eggs? I can't remember hearing how your 2nd hatch went with them?

I have a hatch under my broody hen right now, due 2/13 so I'm on day 11. I can't beleive your self-control in candling. Every night when I lock up the coop, I can't help but pull at least one out from under her to see what's going on! :)

My TJ's chicks (7 made it) are 3 weeks old now! Leghorns, and flighty as can be, but still, you gotta love 'em.

I bought New Hampshire eggs from Wayne. So far, they're my favorite DP bird. Very good and tender as a dinner item.

When his Plymouth Rocks start laying, I'll probably do some of those.

I was just out at Odyssey Ranch on Saturday. I picked up 3 Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets and 1 Easter Egger pullet. All day old. I am soooooooooooo wanting the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte but Wayne said another 3 months probably. *sigh* He's going to have a great mix of birds out there really soon.

Back
Top Bottom