High Desert, California!!

I was just out at Odyssey Ranch on Saturday. I picked up 3 Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets and 1 Easter Egger pullet. All day old. I am soooooooooooo wanting the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte but Wayne said another 3 months probably. *sigh* He's going to have a great mix of birds out there really soon.

Yes, Wayne and Barbara are going to compete with the biggies out there, I hope. They sure have helped me learn a lot about chickens. Never too busy for advice.

Hello all! I'm in Hesperia Ca.

I had to kill one of my hens today. It is the first chicken I've ever killed, plucked and gutted. I feel horrible, but she was egg bound for a few days and I had to end her suffering. I realize now, I'm going to have to get used to doing this on occasion.

I only keep chickens for the eggs, but am thinking about getting some meat birds. Does anyone know of a local/mobile poultry processor I would be able to take the chickens to when they are of age? I stopped keeping snakes because I just couldn't kill the mice anymore, I really dont want to kill a bunch of meat birds.

I had to kill one of my hens today. It is the first chicken I've ever killed, plucked and gutted. I feel horrible, but she was egg bound for a few days and I had to end her suffering. I realize now, I'm going to have to get used to doing this on occasion.

I only keep chickens for the eggs, but am thinking about getting some meat birds. Does anyone know of a local/mobile poultry processor I would be able to take the chickens to when they are of age? I stopped keeping snakes because I just couldn't kill the mice anymore, I really dont want to kill a bunch of meat birds.

The only one I know of at present is a place in Sylmar called Best Live Poultry. I hear it's $2.50 a chicken/rooster. I know someone who has used them who said they were quick, clean, did a good job. I don't mind so much the birds ending up on my plate, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for "hesitation marks" on the poor things if I was to try doing the deed myself.

This one is in Lancaster.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4610099937499&set=o.199333916779842&type=3&theater

Also, there is a guy here who processes his own and has started having 'processing parties' to help ppl learn to do it themselves. Maybe he'll chime in.

298324_4610099937499_598982678_n.jpg

I sent it to you in a pm, too, since I wasn't sure how well it would work here. HTH.

So glad to find this thread! Only about two years late. Hello everyone, we are in Lucerne Valley :D

I have a burning question. I would like to find or devise an automatic water dispenser that runs off the water line. I found a couple of ideas online but have some reservations. In this climate, I am concerned they would either serve up hot or frozen water a good share of the time.

Does anyone have a device that is tried and true?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom