High Desert, California!!

So glad to find this thread! Only about two years late. Hello everyone, we are in Lucerne Valley
big_smile.png

I have a burning question. I would like to find or devise an automatic water dispenser that runs off the water line. I found a couple of ideas online but have some reservations. In this climate, I am concerned they would either serve up hot or frozen water a good share of the time.

Does anyone have a device that is tried and true?
Thanks.

Check out the DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions". There is a terrific design on there that utilizes a bucket with chicken nipples and a toilet float.

So glad to find this thread! Only about two years late. Hello everyone, we are in Lucerne Valley
big_smile.png

I have a burning question. I would like to find or devise an automatic water dispenser that runs off the water line. I found a couple of ideas online but have some reservations. In this climate, I am concerned they would either serve up hot or frozen water a good share of the time.

Does anyone have a device that is tried and true?
Thanks.
I use these

The metal cover over the float valve is removable and you can adjust the height of the water in the bowl. They work under regular household pressure and are scrubbable with a toilet brush. They have them at feed stores. The other kind that works well is a horse waterer that works off a float valve.

Only draw back is the water is deep enough to drown a chick. So when I have chicks in the pen I push half inch chicken wire down over the top and tuck the edges under and press the wire below water level about a quarter inch. the chickens can drink and the chicks can access without falling in. and if they do they can scurry back out.

This picture shows the hose separate.... most feedstores put theirs together.

hope this helps. OH and make sure you put waterers where there is shade the whole day. Otherwise it gets too hot to touch much less drink. The deeper the water the cooler it stays though.

deb

Last edited:
Poultry Processing Party - February 23, 11 AM to mid-afternoon some time. Woo-hoo! OK, here we go again. My goal is to include a bunch of us in a mutual learning curve on chicken processing. This is Party #2. Here's the deal.

1. I can host a half-dozen or so people (families are just fine) to process their chickens. (We did five birds last time in an hour and a half, but time wasn't important to us. Learning was the big thing for us.)

2. Last time, we had a few chickens that were dropped off/donated a few days ahead of time so I pre-processed, then bbq'd for a post-process feast. Remember, you don't eat the chickens you process that day until they've spent a couple days in the fridge aging.

3. If you tell me ahead of time, we can meet in town if you want a chicken done ahead of time. I can do a couple so that we can put them on the bbq for a tasting party afterwards!

4. BOY, DOES age make a difference in bird eatability. I find that 5-6 months seems to be the best in terms of tenderness, especially in the dark meat. You will need to bring an ice chest with ice to bring home the birds you bring to process. If you own a sharp kitchen knife, feel free to bring it. I have some, and try to do a little sharpening.

5. SO IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, please pm me, so I can keep track of who is coming and give you directions. We had a lot of fun the first time, and I was sooo nervous to host. I'm no expert at this. I've processed less than 20 birds, but I feel pretty comfortable doing it. I REALLY need an RSVP, so that I don't get overwhelmed by this. More of a "me nerves" thing.

Richard in Neenach (I'm also over on the California Poultry People on FB, which is where this started. I believe three have already confirmed for this party.)

BTW, Neenach is about 35 miles from Lancaster, west on the 138 (Avenue D), five or so miles east of Quail Lake. Close to Fairmont, 15-20 minutes past Antelope Acres...for those trying to find Neenach. We're at about Avenue B and 260th West.

Love to meet some of you fellow desert rats. My DW and I both work in Lancaster, and make the drive. Takes us about 35 minutes daily.

Richard in Neenach

Can we come if we don't have our own birds? My DH and I really want to learn!

Sure. I'll bet we have a few extra birds around, and if not, you can sure watch! To me, it's not much more trouble than cleaning a bass I caught out of Quail Lake, or a nice trout out of the Sierras.

Richard

Does anyone have fertile eggs? My xmas gift incubator arrives next week and I'd like to test it with some dependable, local eggs. I'd be happy to hatch eggs for anyone and give you the chicks back once they hatch if you want some babies?

I can accomodate 20 standard eggs, but don't need to do that many. Its a Brinsea Octo 20 with humidity, so it *should* be a successful hatch--but I can't be sure since I've not used it before.

I'm in Quartz Hill/Antelope Valley area but am happy to drive to Valencia/Mojave/etc.

Anyone?
MB I'm in Acton and so very local to ya! would love to give you some eggs. also check out www.odysseyranch.com they have a great variety and super nice people!

Back
Top Bottom