High Desert, California!!

I am so glad to have found this thread I am in Hesperia been here since 2010 and love love love being a desert rat. I do not like going DTH for anything it is just too humid. Like most people I always thought hot is hot well hot DTH is horrid here I can get in the shade and be fine in 100 degree weather.

We got our first six chicks in 2011 and 5 turned out to be roos 1 passed. We took 4 back as the one we kept was 1/3 smaller than the others and was not crowing so we assumed it was a hen. WRONG it started to crow 2 weeks later. We exchanged the others and brought home 2 Sussex hens. Really good layers our girls lay straight through the winter. Last year we purchased 4 more hens BO/RIR mix and too are good layers.

Looking forward to reading more of what you all do for your girls up here.
LOL.... I tell people I would rather deal with 110 degrees on the mountain than 90 down the Hill.

deb

LOL.... I tell people I would rather deal with 110 degrees on the mountain than 90 down the Hill.

deb
90 heck 80 DTH is still worse than our 110 and our 40 is their 60. Call me a desert rat all you want I did fight this move many years ago but now you could not get me to move back to Fontana even if you offered to pay that house off plus the second. I love it here I no longer hear the boom boom of radios in cars or the neighbors, no sirens helicopters lighting up my house, I can even pass wind without wondering if the neighbor heard it
hide.gif
. They may be able to see in my yard but I still have privacy. 2 houses worth of space on one side and a house and a half on the other. Life is blissful and I can have chickens.

Quote: LOL... I have eighteen acres kind of ELL shaped. Nearest neighbor is twenty acres away.... funny thing is I can hear when he is out in his yard "puttering". My area isnt flat so I am above him about ten feet and the road is below me/us about twenty. So I can Hear when company is coming and decide wether or NOT to answer the door. Thank goodness that kind of "friendlieness" isnt part of Desert Rat character.

Yep I am a desert rat. Born in the Colton/Burdu area moved to Roswell NM then Las Vegas then finally San Diego.... which is too humid for me big time. So when I got an offer I couldn't refuse on my city house I jumped and never looked back. So Now I dont have to pay to board my horse I have goats and about thirty chickens and ten guineas..... I love my roosters..... Masters of their own worlds.... Even the goof ball Silkie roos that you have to look really hard to tell which end is which.

BTW the money I saved on horse board pays for all my poultry.... and my horse
deb

Last edited:
Funny!! Agreed!
I grew up in Maryland. There it is humid (but not as hot)! Yet when I moved to the Lome Linda area while in college, I truly thought CA sucked. There you can't see the mountains that you are right next to. If you forget your sunglasses, you develop a headache from driving thru the smog glare. Not to mention the boom boom cars as mentioned earlier. That is what we rudely refer to as the "ghetto mating call." Ironically, it took my husband 16 years to convince me to move here to the LV. He grew up in the LA area and thoroughly enjoyed the 3 years he spent here while in middle school (wonder years). Now that we are here I can honestly say CA is a sweet place to be. Walking to the chicken coop here is like walking 6 doors down in my old neighborhood. Kinda cool.

Like the "ghetto mating call". We have 3 acres up here. No neighbor from hell as before, at least that I know of. I was born and raised in L.A. but if I was to ever leave CA it would only be to move to WA or in a box. I love that I can walk and not leave home. My girls follow me and we have a good time looking for bugs. Contrary to what most folks believe CA does have the seasons if you want them and you can have them all in one day if you just drive a bit. I can be in the mountains go to the beach and be in the desert all in one day. Im a bit slow with all the abbreviations what is LV? We have 3 acres and that is plenty for us. We have 80 in AZ not sure what we plan on doing with it yet. I am a rat.

Like the "ghetto mating call". We have 3 acres up here. No neighbor from hell as before, at least that I know of. I was born and raised in L.A. but if I was to ever leave CA it would only be to move to WA or in a box. I love that I can walk and not leave home. My girls follow me and we have a good time looking for bugs. Contrary to what most folks believe CA does have the seasons if you want them and you can have them all in one day if you just drive a bit. I can be in the mountains go to the beach and be in the desert all in one day. Im a bit slow with all the abbreviations what is LV? We have 3 acres and that is plenty for us. We have 80 in AZ not sure what we plan on doing with it yet. I am a rat.
Yep three seasons here in San Diego.... same way. I used to take walks with my goats.... My place is littered with huge boulders and Chaparal so its GOAT heaven.

deb

Gotta ask...has anyone eaten ground squirrels? We have lots of them up here and my DH is considering catching and preparing them. Not sure that this is a good idea, his argument is that rabbits, groundhogs, rats and other rodents are eaten so why not ground squirrels. Any thoughts out there or has anyone actually eaten them?

Gotta ask...has anyone eaten ground squirrels? We have lots of them up here and my DH is considering catching and preparing them. Not sure that this is a good idea, his argument is that rabbits, groundhogs, rats and other rodents are eaten so why not ground squirrels. Any thoughts out there or has anyone actually eaten them?

Enquiring minds want to know! Personally, you can have all of mine!

Back
Top Bottom