High Desert, California!!

People eat squirrel all the time, I think its probably a matter of how you prepare it. That's a lot of free food, take advantage of it!

Like the "ghetto mating call". We have 3 acres up here. No neighbor from hell as before, at least that I know of. I was born and raised in L.A. but if I was to ever leave CA it would only be to move to WA or in a box. I love that I can walk and not leave home. My girls follow me and we have a good time looking for bugs. Contrary to what most folks believe CA does have the seasons if you want them and you can have them all in one day if you just drive a bit. I can be in the mountains go to the beach and be in the desert all in one day. Im a bit slow with all the abbreviations what is LV? We have 3 acres and that is plenty for us. We have 80 in AZ not sure what we plan on doing with it yet. I am a rat.
What I meant by LV is "Lucerne Valley." Sorry for that. Common to me yet obscure to others. Not "Las Vegas" that's for sure!
You are sooo right about location. We are just a drive from it all.
Ground squirrels! If you could turn them into a delicacy, you would be a hero to many. They are nearly taking over a neighborhood on the south end of our valley.

Gotta ask...has anyone eaten ground squirrels? We have lots of them up here and my DH is considering catching and preparing them. Not sure that this is a good idea, his argument is that rabbits, groundhogs, rats and other rodents are eaten so why not ground squirrels. Any thoughts out there or has anyone actually eaten them?

I saw this earlier and decided to reply, even tough I'm not part of this thread. CA ground squirrels carry some sort of disease. They often will make dogs very ill after they eat them. Please research it more before attempting to eat them. It's not worth getting sick.
Tree squirrels are safe to eat.

I saw this earlier and decided to reply, even tough I'm not part of this thread. CA ground squirrels carry some sort of disease. They often will make dogs very ill after they eat them. Please research it more before attempting to eat them. It's not worth getting sick.
Tree squirrels are safe to eat.
goodpost.gif

Thank you X10... I will do just that because he is serious when he says he wants to eat them. He is of the mind set that if you can eat prairie dogs or something that we seen on Zimmerman while he was in I believe in New Mexico so he believes you can eat ground squirrels. Going to investigate more. Thanks

Wow didn't know there was a hight desert thread here, i guess i need to look better. Been up here for a year now (Oak Hills) and love it but the wind I can't stand. Glad to of seen the thread and just want to say hi all.

To Running8rima.
The wind? I concur.
When at the recycling station - wind blowing my bottles and cans - the cashier tells me, "The wind is good! It gets rid of the whiners." Been reluctant to complain since.
Welcome! It took me a while to stumble on this thread too.

To Running8rima.
The wind? I concur.
When at the recycling station - wind blowing my bottles and cans - the cashier tells me, "The wind is good! It gets rid of the whiners." Been reluctant to complain since.
Welcome! It took me a while to stumble on this thread too.

frow.gif
From Hesperia I am north of Ranchero Road been here since 2010 and will avoid at all costs going DTH and
welcome-byc.gif
. I like the wind here hated it DTH what I don't like is that most people scrape their yards so dirt blows everywhere. Other than that all is wonderful.
Wow didn't know there was a hight desert thread here, i guess i need to look better. Been up here for a year now (Oak Hills) and love it but the wind I can't stand. Glad to of seen the thread and just want to say hi all.

Last edited:

Several High Desert Wind Old Timer Sayings I've Heard Out Here

"I didn't know it was windy out here until it stopped one day and I fell over"

"The first year you move here, the wind blows all the time. The next year, it blows quite a bit. The third year, it hardly blows at all."

"You've lived here too long when trees that grow straight out of the ground look funny to you."

"You've lived here too long when you automatically only open one car door at a time when the family gets out of the car."

Back
Top Bottom