High Desert, California!!

I'm hoping for a little homesteading farm someday. The problem is that there are so many places I'd like to be
lol.png

Quote:
Do you mean that you can not decide where you want to homestead or that you still have a sense of adventure that makes you want to travel and therefore do not to confined to 24 x 7 caring for garden and animals. If it is the second issue and know that you are not alone. I have a friend in Inyokern who is lucky enough to have close neighbors who can care for her animals and garden when she needs to take off for a week or two and that neighbor just requires the same from her. I think that that is a good deal. Of course no one can do the job as good as you do it but at least you can take off once in a while.

Sort of a step beyond communal life and not quite an extended family. The way thinks are going, I can not see why everyone does not try to grow at least a little bit of their own food.

WMR you know that I do not live near SD but I do love the area and in fact love all of California. Such a beautiful state with so many wonderful people and chickens. I forgot that you are familiar with this part ! What is your story about relocating further south ?

Quote:
Do you mean that you can not decide where you want to homestead or that you still have a sense of adventure that makes you want to travel and therefore do not to confined to 24 x 7 caring for garden and animals. If it is the second issue and know that you are not alone. I have a friend in Inyokern who is lucky enough to have close neighbors who can care for her animals and garden when she needs to take off for a week or two and that neighbor just requires the same from her. I think that that is a good deal. Of course no one can do the job as good as you do it but at least you can take off once in a while.

Sort of a step beyond communal life and not quite an extended family. The way thinks are going, I can not see why everyone does not try to grow at least a little bit of their own food.

I mean to say that I cannot decide where I'd want to homestead. There are so many places I'd like to be. But I guess there is a little bit of the second problem, too.

Am I able to let the chickens stay in their coop overnight now? The ones that I *need* to put in the coop are about 4 1/2 weeks old right now, and they are just about stepping all over the little ones. If I can't let them stay in the coop overnight I'll have to separate them from the littler ones somehow..

Last edited:
Hi
frow.gif

I am in San Diego county in a portion of the Sonoran Desert just about two miles from the Mexican border. At about 3000 feet. Gawd listening to every one here made me flashback.... My Uncle Mitch was Police chief of Ridgecrest aeons ago (circa the seventies). Aunt Helen and Uncle Mitch had a place they built themselves in Inyokern. My Aunt Lucia worked at the Two Sisters in Inyokern.

So I am re building my coop in a month or so. I have Wind and sun protection nailed.... has any one ever used a swamp cooler to knock down the heat in the summer? I have a couple of extras in various states of dis-repair which could be combined....

Hello, all

I'm located in Agua Dulce/Acton - so, it's "amost" high desert :) After a big gap of twelve years, I am finally getting some chickens again - soon.

Since my plans are only for 4 chickens (we will see how long that lasts!) I'm hoping to find some pullets locally, so I won't need to go the brooder route. I'm thinking maybe 2 Delawares or Barred Rocks, and 2 Welsummer (Red Hampshire or Red sex links are other thoughts). Open to other possibilities too, depending on availability. I just want "not too big" hens, and friendly - not flighty. I'm hoping to find chickens that may have been handled some, so are fairly tame (if that's not asking too much).

So, anyone want to be my enabler?

Also, I'm hoping to find a local source for organic feed - any suggestions?

TIA for any replies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom