High Desert, California!!

Wildflower - anywhere out to about Rosamund would work - past that gets heavy on the gas :-(

I'm curious - roughly what price do you end up paying for the Organic feed?

Quote:
I would be happy to meet you by the Trader Joes in Palmdale, if this happens. Modesto Milling will be $22.87 for organic layer and $24.96 for soy-free organic layer. There is also starters with and without soy, plus grains and feed amendments. I would be happy to send you the whole price list if you PM me your e-mail addy. This applies to anyone in the area that is interested!

Well there were so many things to attend to this past week-end that I did not make it off the block. Just worked on chicken/garden stuff and ceramics.

So tell us how was the show did you resist the temptation to add to your fifty ?

Quote:

That would be fun. Hopefully I will see you there.

The show was really small. Not very impressive. I didn't bring anything home. We are in limbo about a possible move with DH retiring from the Marine Corps this year. There is a show in Ventura on April 9th I will be going to. They always put on a pretty good show. I might enter my ducks. It's at the fairgrounds right on the beach. Always a nice day with the family. They usually have a breeders auction. And a hatching eggs auction too

NoseyChickens thanks for your informative reply. You seem to know all about the shows in the area! Glad to hear that I did not miss a good one. Today I need to grab my Dominique and Orpington so I can bring them to a woman who lost all but one of hers to a neighbors dog. The Orpington is not friendly but very wary. From what I have read, Orpington is usually a calm bird but calm does not mean easily caught.

I'm looking for any opinions about Odyssey ranch in Lancaster.

I'm looking for some slightly older pullets (6-8 weeks) and this seems about the only local option (that I can find).

I don't have any chickens yet, the coop and run is being built. My plan is to have 6 chickens - no rooster.

I'm considering buying three red-sex links (red-stars) or New Hampshire Reds from Odyssey Ranch and get a head start on the time frame for collecting eggs.

I will them get three Delaware chicks from teh local feed store when they get them in in about two weeks.

or, maybe I should just buy the red Stars, and three Silver Laced Wyandottes now, and be done. They currently have both these breeds at about 5 weeks of age. I'm thinking, with the current weather, maybe I can get away from not using a brooder heat lamp, but, just have them outside (on the lawn in a wire dog kennel) during the sunny times, then in a enclosed dog crate in the laundry overnight. Is this overly ambitious? It's been down to about 50 deg overnight.

TIA for any advice, I'm posting here mainly because I want to know if Odyssey Ranch is "OK", and, who better to know than locals.

PS If anyone has other suggestions for where to buy some pullets around 6-8 weeks old now, I'd love to hear them.

I do not live in Lancaster so I can not answer the question about Odyessy Ranch but both Red Star and Wyandotte produce nice large eggs. It does take the Wyandotte longer to develop but they lay longer. How much do they charge for a six-eight week old pullet ?

Quote:
I have not personally ordered with them, but I know someone who has been very happy with their birds. She says they are always healthy.

I also know of a little girl who raised layers that are 18-20 weeks right now. Not sure how long they will be available, but they will start laying sooner. They are in Tehachapi. Let me know if you want more info.

Back
Top Bottom