High Desert, California!!

Another person from Tehachapi called them. They don't stock the soy-free, but are more than willing to special order. They are ordering from Modesto Milling tomorrow, so she asked for 6 bags of starter. Not sure why 6, since our group should only need 3 or 4. If you need starter, I will let you know when it comes in. If you need layer pellets, I would call them right now.

Hello from Inyokern! We just moved out here from Ridgecrest and I'm so happy to finally be "on property". It's been a goal of our for years...

Anyhow, the house we bought came with a chicken coop and two weeks ago we got our first hens. We got Red Stars from a girl in Hesperia who had raised them from chicks for 4H; I could post her info if anyone is interested. We have been very happy with these birds; they have been great layers from the get-go (some days we get 6 eggs from 5 chickens) and they are so friendly and easy to deal with, catch, move, etc. They are about 9 months old.

Yesterday we picked up 3 six month old Marans and 1 Dominique from a guy in Silver Springs (near Tehachapi). It was supposed to be 4 marans he made a mistake...oh well. He had some unusual breeds on hand for $15 each. He won't tell you where he is until you get out there, though, as he doesn't want anyone coming by "unexpectedly". He's a bit of an eccentric; a bird breeder/seller who is also an Elvis impersonator. I'm not kidding! Google Jimmy Bond and Elvis.

Lots and lots of folks keep chickens around here, but not many on the forum (yet). Happy to be here...I'll post some pics soon.

Welcome magdelaine!

I wish I had found someone closer to sell me some black copper and blue copper marans. I had to drive all the way to Riverside to get mine. I can't even keep the rooster so I can get a flock of these beauties going..

Back
Top Bottom