High Desert, California!!

Quote:
Hi neighbor!

Hi Debryman!! So nice to see someone from our neck of the High Desert. Seems most folks are from the other side of the mountain!

What mountain are you referring to ? There are three of us 100 miles south of Death Valley and Mt Whitney. In fact many folks keep chickens but do not frequent the BYC website. Maybe even a bunch in your own neighborhood ! What is the matter with them anyway ? ha ha maybe they do not have the time.
sad.png

Quote:
Hi Debryman!! So nice to see someone from our neck of the High Desert. Seems most folks are from the other side of the mountain!

What mountain are you referring to ? There are three of us 100 miles south of Death Valley and Mt Whitney. In fact many folks keep chickens but do not frequent the BYC website. Maybe even a bunch in your own neighborhood ! What is the matter with them anyway ? ha ha maybe they do not have the time.
sad.png

Hi Flower!

idunno.gif
I don't mean to offend anyone... It just seems that most of the posts in this thread appear to be from BYCers living in the LA County High Desert. And I certainly don't want to upset the BYCers from the Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia area. And you're right, there are many people in my own neighborhood that keep chickens. It's just nice to see others from the San Bernardino County High Desert. It's been great reading your experiences from Mojave. I have read many of your posts and really appreciate your expertise when it comes to desert chicken keeping.
bow.gif

Please forgive me?
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
sad.png

Hi Flower!

idunno.gif
I don't mean to offend anyone... It just seems that most of the posts in this thread appear to be from BYCers living in the LA County High Desert. And I certainly don't want to upset the BYCers from the Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia area. And you're right, there are many people in my own neighborhood that keep chickens. It's just nice to see others from the San Bernardino County High Desert. It's been great reading your experiences from Mojave. I have read many of your posts and really appreciate your expertise when it comes to desert chicken keeping.
bow.gif

Please forgive me?
smile.png

LOL.... I am in the High Desert In San Diego County... My mountain comes up from Baja.. Waiving my hand here sitting 90 miles from the pacific and 90 miles from the Sea of Cortez.... at about 3200 feet. I have Guineas right now. but am planning on Chickens next spring.

perchie.girl :

Quote:
Hi Flower!

idunno.gif
bow.gif

Please forgive me?
smile.png

LOL.... I am in the High Desert In San Diego County... My mountain comes up from Baja.. Waiving my hand here sitting 90 miles from the pacific and 90 miles from the Sea of Cortez.... at about 3200 feet. I have Guineas right now. but am planning on Chickens next spring.​

th.gif
OOPS!!! I forgot y'all down in San Diego County!!! LOL Sounds like a beautiful area!! I have been thinking about Guineas myself, but am still researching. Thanks for saying Hi!!

Quote:
LOL.... I am in the High Desert In San Diego County... My mountain comes up from Baja.. Waiving my hand here sitting 90 miles from the pacific and 90 miles from the Sea of Cortez.... at about 3200 feet. I have Guineas right now. but am planning on Chickens next spring.

th.gif
OOPS!!! I forgot y'all down in San Diego County!!! LOL Sounds like a beautiful area!! I have been thinking about Guineas myself, but am still researching. Thanks for saying Hi!!

LOL not to worry.... I dont chirp up very often here.... but I do read. I usually chime in when ever there is building construction discussions. I cant do meetups up there anyway. Oh and it is pretty.. we get a little more rain than you guys. About 10-15 inches per year. Had family that lived in various places in your neck of the woods over the years ..... Ridgecrest, Inyokern, 29 Palms, Maricopa, Tehachapi...... Just not all at once.... hee hee. We in our family are all desert people in some way or other. Either by nature or location....
frow.gif

Hi Perchie... This quoting thing is getting a little crazy! It takes up so much space, so I thought I'd just start anew!

Rain? What's that?! LOL! Unfortunately, it seems that when it does rain it's a monsoon! This year we had 2 huge storms pop up out of nowhere with VERY strong winds and a flash flood that wiped out the road and the property just south of us. We were spared any real damage but you should have seen me scrambling to get my girls safely in the coop! It felt like armageddon at the time!! LOL

A little rain now and then would be nice. And I would really love to have a shady, green area to let the girls free range for a few hours a day. I would love for them to be able to catch some bugs and get out of the run now and then. If only I could afford to dig a well!! We tried a community vegetable garden with a couple of the neighbors, but the stinkin' little ground squirrels ate everything as soon as it popped out of the ground! No amount of fencing was able to deter them!

So, right now I am concentrating my efforts on improving my chicken coop and run so that when spring rolls around I can expand my flock!

Hello Perchi, It was neat meeting you at the last SD meet. I wonder if you have the same high temperatures as we do here near Death Valley since you are closer to the Pacific and 1000ft higher. Has you Pied Guinea adjusted to her new home ?

perchie.girl :

Quote:
Hi Flower!

idunno.gif
bow.gif

Please forgive me?
smile.png

LOL.... I am in the High Desert In San Diego County... My mountain comes up from Baja.. Waiving my hand here sitting 90 miles from the pacific and 90 miles from the Sea of Cortez.... at about 3200 feet. I have Guineas right now. but am planning on Chickens next spring.​

CheerioLounge I doubt if anyone is offended so do not even think about it. This post is really not that active. Have you ever visited the Sandy Eggo site Yikes ! a bunch of gabbers.
gig.gif
Actually they are great group and I have had the pleasure of meeting them. Would you believe that I traveled all the way down there twice ?

And have stopped in once at the Norco meet, nice group there also. Hope to see more of folks now that the show have started. Who is going to Victorville in December ? I "need" more silkies because they are so funny.

Here is Victor

31570_img_0777.jpg

31570_img_0782.jpg

31570_img_0779.jpg

While I was taking these shots he took a step off of the stool and fell to the concrete and didn't even seem to notice. He is really handsome but a funny fellow.

Back
Top Bottom