High Humidity First week of Incubation

What are you hatching? Chickens, I presume. I can tell you from my experience this week, I am hatching ducks, and they take 28 days (on average), instead of the presumed 21. My humidity was too high after 7 days also, so I dropped it to around 25-30%. Then I raised it to around 40-45 for the last week because they had caught up on the air cells. And I'm happy to report that the first 2 hatched yesterday, along with one turkey, and I have 2 still working on their pips. I did lose 3, which were alive at day 25, but appeared to have a large "clear" area in the bottom of the egg, that I now learn would most likely have meant they would have been sticky and had a tough hatch anyway. They are still in the bator because I am not 100% positive they are dead, but I'm pretty sure. Once these last 2 get out, if they do, I'll recheck those three. Did the early high humidity play a factor? I don't know. But the ones that are out are beautiful and perfect... if I do say so myself lol.

Good luck and keep us posted!

best of luck, i hope all goes well. i think that your chicks still have a chance, just keep it at what you think is best. 30% should be fine. its up to mother nature now to decide the fate of your eggs (if you keep the humidity right until lock down). Again, best of luck. let us know how they get on :) :)

WVDuckChick, that makes me feel a lot better! During the day when it's hot and humid outside it goes up to 35% which should still be fine! Thanks so much for y'all's input, it's much appreciated!!! Like I said they all look great as far as development goes, just the air cell is a bit on the small side, but hopefully that will change.

WVDuckChick, that makes me feel a lot better! During the day when it's hot and humid outside it goes up to 35% which should still be fine! Thanks so much for y'all's input, it's much appreciated!!! Like I said they all look great as far as development goes, just the air cell is a bit on the small side, but hopefully that will change.

Great! Keep us posted. Its so nice to have hand-holders and people to calm us down when we get overwhelmed! We're here for ya!

I walked into my laundry room where the incubator is at and smell rotten eggs!? How do I tell which are dead?

I canceled and smelled every egg! AND BOY DID I FIND THE CULPRIT!!!! I did an eggopsey outside and WOW bad idea!

Last edited:
I canceled and smelled every egg! AND BOY DID I FIND THE CULPRIT!!!! I did an eggopsey outside and WOW bad idea!

Lmao! I have to ask... What did it look like. I think I can almost imagine the smell, but when do you think it died? You should be getting close to lockdown, right? Hows everything else going now?

If I find a stinker, it gets thrown as far as I can, as fast as I can...downwind!

Never had it happen in an incubator but I've found a few in the coop where the hens rolled them under a partition, under a feeder, under a pallet...

And when I was a teen mowing on the old Allis Chalmers, I drove right over a hidden nest of about 3 dozen VERY rotten eggs. I almost left the tractor there the smell was so bad.

Got home today at 3 p.m and I had 3 chicks hatched. It's now 6 p.m and I'm up to 8 with about 6 that are pipping/zipping. My humidity was at 70% before I left this morning and is now 82% will this be okay?

Back
Top Bottom