Histomoniasis: Yellow Urate & Lethargy in Poult...

When caught soon enough, and treated properly with Safeguard, metronidazole, Baytril, and supportive care (tube feeding), the birds will survive. In the last 10 years I have lost five I think, two poults, two peafowl, and one chicken.
How does one go about starting treatment? Do I treat the one that isn't showing symptoms too? And what about the whole flock, do I treat them too?

I will let Kathy answer you, (and please let her correct any dosages,) but you can buy SafeGuard LiquidGoat Wormer at your feed store or online. Dosage for cecal worms is 0.23 ml per pound given once and again in 10 days. To treat other serious worms, you can give it for 5 consecutive days.

Fish Zole (metronidazole, Flagyl) which is sold online, can be given orally. Kathy can give dosage and you may get it here:
https://www.allivet.com/p-2393-fish...Wcn08vNbT7xmLWpCIybcnvknQwYozxpkaAqJZEALw_wcB
Baytril can found online as well here:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10Dosage is 0.05 ml per pound orally twice a day for 5 days. Do not mix it in water.

Last edited:
I will let Kathy answer you, (and please let her correct any dosages,) but you can buy SafeGuard LiquidGoat Wormer at your feed store or online. Dosage for cecal worms is 0.23 ml per pound given once and again in 10 days. To treat other serious worms, you can give it for 5 consecutive days.

Fish Zole (metronidazole, Flagyl) which is sold online, can be given orally. Kathy can give dosage and you may get it here:
https://www.allivet.com/p-2393-fish...Wcn08vNbT7xmLWpCIybcnvknQwYozxpkaAqJZEALw_wcB
Baytril can found online as well here:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10Dosage is 0.05 ml per pound orally twice a day for 5 days. Do not mix it in water.
I have Safeguard Goat wormer... I ordered the powdered form of baytril from jedds... I'm seeing if I can cancel/change it before they send it so I can get the liquid form instead. Ah, I remember the "fish flagyl" from another thread somewhere. Thank you!
It looks like Jedds is sold out of enrofloxacin (Baytril.) In my last post, I posted someone that possibly has it in time to get to you soon.
Thanks!
Please note that I just corrected my dosage in post 12 of baytril to twice a day, not once a day.
Got it!

I'm just hoping the medicine gets here in time for me to treat. Just the sick bird or everybody?

Hopefully Kathy will be along later to confirm the dosages, etc. She may know the dosage for the baytril powder. I don’t use many meds, but try to help people with dosages. Usually we suggest only treating birds who have symptoms, but you would probably want to worm them all, since cecal worms may cause blackhead. You can have cecal worms confirmed by a vet with a fecal test if younwish.

Hopefully Kathy will be along later to confirm the dosages, etc. She may know the dosage for the baytril powder. I don’t use many meds, but try to help people with dosages. Usually we suggest only treating birds who have symptoms, but you would probably want to worm them all, since cecal worms may cause blackhead. You can have cecal worms confirmed by a vet with a fecal test if younwish.
I need to have a worming party! I have over 50 chickens, 2 guinea, 2 poults, 7 Bobwhite.... wonder if the ducks should be wormed too? Maybe @casportpony will chime in in the morning? I appreciate y'all's help! :hugs

Per avian vet, for a chicken, enrofloxacin dose was ~6.81mg per pound twice daily (orally).

I don’t know anything about blackhead, but I’d be looking into some kidney support. I had a bird with yellow urates and gave her Lily if the Valley Aloe Detox, which us really more for the liver. She recovered, but she was also self-medicating with wood ash. Can you administer some activated charcoal in case she has ingested a toxin? I think blueberries and red grapes are also supposed to be good for kidney function.

Per avian vet, for a chicken, enrofloxacin dose was ~6.81mg per pound twice daily (orally).

I don’t know anything about blackhead, but I’d be looking into some kidney support. I had a bird with yellow urates and gave her Lily if the Valley Aloe Detox, which us really more for the liver. She recovered, but she was also self-medicating with wood ash. Can you administer some activated charcoal in case she has ingested a toxin? I think blueberries and red grapes are also supposed to be good for kidney function.
None of the chickens are having the yellow urate just the turkey poult, it amazes me that they can get sick because they don't scratch around at everything & anything like the chickens & guinea do, they eat from the feeders & graze, but the chickens are retarded and like to walk through the waterers with nasty feet. I'm sure that's how they would get ill.... my poor babies! I don't have any activated charcoal, but the chickens love the ash pile.

Back
Top Bottom