Hmmmm...I’m seeing a lot of chipmunk strips...

Early Birds

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2018
Upstate New York
So I decided to treat myself to an order of bantams from Ideal. Got some D’uccles, Bantam Wyandottes, Sebrights, Old English and assorted Japanese. I can pick out the D’uccles, Sebrights and Wyandottes.....but I’m having a hard time with the Old English and Japs. I have 6 chipmunk marked ones.....I ordered (2) Spangled, (2) Splash, (2) Red Pyle, (2) Cuckoo, (2) Blue Brassy Back and (4) assorted Japanese Bantams. My guess is that the Brassy Back and the Spangled would be marked like chipmunks as chicks....but what the heck are the other 2.....they’re not Japs right? I’m confused and the more I stare at them the worse it gets. I hope this makes sense and someone who is familiar with the breeds can give me a hand!!!! Thank you!

Only the spangled should have the chipmunk pattern, but the brassy backs can have a little striping at the eyes and on the tops of the heads. They shouldn't have stripy backs. I can't think of any Japanese bantam color varieties that have chipmunk striping, unless they are unusual varieties. So maybe some substitution has gone on. Pictures would help.

957989A3-A15A-45C1-A171-2293F45C167B.jpeg
7C443C82-EF49-4149-BEB5-5EE1886720C1.jpeg
44D78EAA-8EFA-4AFF-8E6E-4790D02EB9E4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom