Hmmmmm, what hatches from a golf ball??!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Scrambled Egg, Sep 8, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Umm- I think we are all pretty familiar with what hatches from horse poo. . . . And chickens would rather eat 'em than raise 'em. Now, golf balls??? Some kind of Scottish critter?? What have they got over there?? Nessies? Is your hen trying to hatch Nessies, ya think?

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:That would totally freak me out in my nesting box!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ummm, okay now I want to know what hatches from horse poo...

Can the little chicken be more desperate?!!!! Poor little thing, bet that smelled so bad even she was hoping a bit it wouldn't hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is your hen trying to hatch Nessies, ya think?

No doubt!!! SHe was the monster last night when I took her out of the nesting box...again..and put her in the roost area with the others and closed the door..you should have heard the noises, I did feel sorry for her. Went out later and all was quiet so maybe she cooled her jets over night and the hormone levels are lower today..hope so anyhow. Yeah, Sem, the horse poo was a spewer for me too!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I do think it's odd that I have never had a broody hen before and they are all a year and a half and this is my smallest Barred Rock, the one that was smaller than her is the one I lost to the heat early in the summer but this one is much smaller than my other hens..just thought that was an odd factor in which one decided to be hormonal!​

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  3. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Just had to lol @ the horse poo, too funny!

Our warm cozy golf balls have been exchanged for eggs. Hopefully my lil broody is as dedicated to hatching these 9 eggs as she was the golf balls!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You really should quite drinking at the keyboard. At least on BYC-you just never know what you will read! [​IMG]

Scrambled Egg-They say to put a broody you want to break in a wire cage, with a wire bottom to make her uncomfortable so she won't want to sit. I've never had a broody so I've never had this problem.

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Songster

LOL too cute! What usually works for curing broodiness is dunking them (not their head!) in some luke warm water, like if theres a water trough near by. Hens body temperature rises a bit when they go broody, almost like they have a fever, so dunking them usually lowers the temp and snaps them out of it!

6. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Songster

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    golf balls and horse poo,,,,last time I have milk while at the computer. [​IMG]

7. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Poor little thing with her puffed out feathers was back in the nesting box last night....with all the eggs of the day she had gathered!! I took the eggs and followed ya'lls advice and sat her in a pan of water, room temp, she did not seem to mind at all, hopefully she will not be in the nesting box when I go out there this morning!! Almost makes me wish she could be a mommy!!!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    too bad you just can't let her set on the golf balls for a week and then put a couple of feed store chicks under her.

9. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I can't have any more chickens but she is sure pitiful..she has her feathers puffed out so that she is the size of a basketball and she is making these old lady clucking sounds non-stop, poor thing...she must be driving the others crazy too! I had 2 eggs from 11 hens today and she had both of them under her, so I took the eggs and dragged her out of the box and she did wander around outside a bit with the others...clucking all the while!!! She sure must want to be a mommy badly but I am already one over my limit now and would be afraid to get attached to more and have to re-home them...how long does broodiness last anyway?! [​IMG]

10. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Songster

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I have a broody sitting on a whiffle ball and a non fertile egg... it has been 22 days now. I have no idea what to do with her. I am hoping she gives up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: