Hmmmmm, what hatches from a golf ball??!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Scrambled Egg, Sep 8, 2008.

1. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    I got lucky too,,my Sultan hen took over a green tomato she found in the garden. She left it when it got to ripe and mushy. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, switch it to a tomato. When it goes flat, no more problems !!!! Except she is still walking around,,,lookin,,,,, [​IMG] [​IMG] True Story!!!!

2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:You should get her off the nest soon or her legs will start to become stiff. We put ours on probation in a seperate pen.

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I can't wait till those eggies hatch!!!!! [​IMG] What is the broody's name?

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I've heard of people putting ice cubes in the box to let her sit on - she might think twice about trying to hatch those! I don't know if it actually works - I've never had a broody. Good luck!

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I am SO glad I was not eating or drinking while reading this whole thread. I'm also glad I didn't read it while at work-

I do feel so bad for the broody hens. It's kinda sad, when you think about it.
    But HORSE POO?? [​IMG]
    and tomato? [​IMG]

Silly chickens!

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I had a silkie try and hatch a plastic toy lemon and potato. She must of gathered my nephews toys. [​IMG]

7. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Songster

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Quote:Oh my goodness! and YUCK! and, at least it was horse not dog poo! Shudder

8. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    lets see golf balls hatch intotiger woods and horse poo hatches into fly covered horse poo [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Songster

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I will try to break my hen this next Monday. I am heading out of town for 3 nights tomorrow. I hoped her feathers would grow back on her head, but I think she needs Rogaine.. because they are NOT growing back too quickly.

How do I break her... take the egg and ball away and lock her out of the coop for an hour or so?

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There are lots of methods:

1. Give her ice cubes to "hatch".
    2. Try throwing those golf balls in the freezer. Better yet, take them away entirely.
    3. Lock her in a cage with no nesting material, just food/water.
    4. Dunk her in cold water.
    5. Take he out of the coop as often as you can and wlak her around the yard.

Good luck!

BTW, I'm still cracking up about the desperate broody silkies. Silkiechicken once said that his silkies would try to hatch rocks. I thought he was joking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: