Hobbies for anxiety?

I had to process a mean rooster, lost one of my favorite hens to a sudden illness, and noticed my sweet Polish girl Poppy has a swollen face like maybe she has MG. I also obtained and distributed 40 ex bat hens and had a bad experience with one of the “adoptees”. I am so scared my flock is sick. I’ve just been bubbling over with emotions and anxiety all week 😭 I feel you pain acutely. I hope things start looking up for you. And for me too 😞

I have lost lots of chickens recently and my anxiety has be going insane and I have been throwing to gether some interesting stuff and saying a chant to see what it would do. I can't look at myself in the mirror anymore 😕😪 so any hobbies that I could try that helps you with anxiety please tell.
Why can't you look in the mirror?
You're a beautiful creation...don't hate on yourself in any way :hugs
I used to struggle with this issue a lot, panic attacks, etc. I never really found anything except temporary answers until I started trusting God more with my life.
Joyce Meyer has a lot of good stuff on this topic:

Breaking Free from Worry & Anxiety

and she has another one on fears, since anxiety is just overactive fear.

This stuff helped me, also spending time doing the things I enjoy doing, and not over-pressuring myself based on others' expectations.
C406N.png

To be honest, bird watching has been one of the biggest anxiety relievers for me. If I ever feel stressed out or down, I go outside and start watching the birds that come around. Every time I see a Summer Tanager, I feel so much joy, especially the rare sighting of the female.
Oh! I haven't thought of that!

Reading a good book may also help, perhaps picking up one you favorited as a youngster. Photography- there are some nice starter cameras out there. Painting/crafting- even if you don’t think you are good at it, find your voice and build it. Channel it into helpfulness, whether volunteering or simply greeting newcomers at BYC

For me looking after my Animals and gardening takes the focus away from Anxiety and other issues. My marine fish tanks are taking up most of my time atm with the feeding, water testing, dosing, water changes buying and adding new coral. And just watching the fish.
IMG_20210512_154042.jpg

Also gaming when I feel like it and music.
Oh and baking!
IMG_20210518_161846.jpg

Reading, baking, photography and hiking are good stress relievers. I don’t do as much hiking when I’m stressed though since I tend to stick close to home when my anxiety is high. At those times I tend to stick with baking and reading. Nothing like beating my stress out on some bread dough or taking a book to bed from a few hours to decompress. I enjoy gardening but it can stress me out. Some people find it much more relaxing than I do. Plenty of threads you can check out about all of these hobbies https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/any-home-bakers-here.921333/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-garden-today.670277/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/summer-reading-ideas-or-maybe-a-byc-book-club.1473044/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/📚-byc-library-📚.1453434/page-7

My anxiety got bad enough recently that I had to go back on meds for it. Made a world of difference for me. Of course I still have anxiety flare-ups but they aren't all-consuming and going on for days or weeks at a time any more. If yours is to the point of interfering with your daily life and thoughts, please don't forget there are medical options for it, and therapy options! Sometimes you just need to get your anxiety brain to shut up long enough to learn better coping strategies, sometimes you need it long-term, both are fine!

Anyway when I have my flare-ups, I do 'little busy things'. I've got ADHD and OCD on top of the anxiety, and that gives me the prime mindset to sit and do tedious, repetitive work that I can lose myself in and relax when I'm having a tough time. Seconding the jewelry stuff! I do beading, especially fond of seed beading. Currently I'm working on a giant latch hook project, can only work on that in spurts because the rug's so big I have to put it on the floor and I can only sit stooped over it for so long before my butt hurts :p. I also tend to write a lot when my anxiety goes nuts.

Another thing I love doing is making stone cabochons, but I don't expect anyone to go out and just buy a $5000+ piece of machinery on a whim! I love working with rocks, I find it very soothing to take a piece of random rock and turn it into something beautiful.

I’m sorry you’re going through this, I’m dealing with a similar situation, I’ve been dealing with so many health issues with m flock, my feather babies, that I’m getting severe anxiety that’s turned into panic attacks.

I can’t say there’s any cure, it would take a time machine to solve the source of the issues, the losses and sicknesses.

All I can say is that after the grief period repetitive somewhat strenuous tasks and repetitive games sometimes help, or at least they temporarily give my mind something else to focus on for a little while.😔

Back
Top Bottom