Hobbies for anxiety?

I've actually never crocheted, so I can't give a definitive answer XD. But I don't think so? Latch hook is done on a canvas mesh base and you use a specific hooking tool for it, though I think the latch hook tool is like a longer version of a crochet tool? And it's dozens (hundreds...or thousands...) of short threads tied in knots rather than a continuous strand worked on itself. The end result is not something wearable, but you can use it as wall hangings or pillow covers or, if you use the right sort of backing and yarn, little rugs.

Cabochons are pieces that can be used in jewelry. Usually circular or oval, but sometimes you'll see them as squares or rectangles or hearts or freeform. The back is flat, so it can be set into the jewelry, and the top visible side is slightly (or a lot) domed and polished so that they're super shiny. Then can range in size from really tiny (though anything under half an inch in diameter probably requires different equipment to complete) to a couple inches across or more. And you can do almost any type of stone, though anything softer than moonstone/labradorite is hard to work with because they just disintegrate, and as a general rule you don't do anything with a hardness of 9 or more (rubies/sapphires)--you CAN, but it wears out the grinding wheels on the machine really quickly.

You basically take a small piece or flat slab of a stone and use a machine with several wheels attached with different levels of grit fineness. Work from the coarsest, to get the shape you want, to finest, to get the polished look.

Which is probably more than you ever wanted to know about cabbing lol.
How about pics of cabochons? That would help.

Pretty bad social anxiety and mild OCD here. I like to bake, watch my chickens, and listen to music when I get really worked up.

Sadie Radinsky has a great section on decompressing in her book Whole Girl. Lie flat on your back on a bed or something comfy in a quiet room/outside, breathe slowly and deeply, and focus on how parts of your body feel (like head, neck, shoulders, legs, arms, toes, fingers). Relax anything that is tensed.

This really helps me, good luck with your flock!

How about pics of cabochons? That would help.
opal_boulder.jpg
Some boulder opals I did years ago.

opal_fern.jpg
Dendritic opals.

opal_precious.jpg

Precious opals.

These were all done free-form, which tends to be how you do opals, in order to get the best 'fire' out of them. The smallest precious opal is probably 3/4" along the long axis, and the largest boulder opal is about 2" long.
Unfortunately I can't find any photos of non-opal cabs I've done...

Youtube videos are your friend!! @threestitches on twitch is also always so wonderful and happy to help. At the moment I believe that she streams every night on tuesday-friday. She's wonderful and will answer all of your questions and would totally do stitches up close to the camera for you. If you go by her stream, tell her that cats sent you.
I don't have a twitch account - can I view without one?

I think I can get the stitches right... eventually... the problem is, my joints are "loose" (not diagnosed or anything but it might be genetic) so when I start going with the crochet, my thumb slips out of joint or my fingers bend backward and I drop the hook or yarn and lose my place. It's frustrating. 😅 So practicing is difficult. I pretty much gave up knitting for this reason, but most of the time with the crochet, I can at least figure out where I left off, which is nice.

I watch a lot of cooking shows and i've learned to love cooking and baking instead of just doing it bc it's expected. I find it interesting, challenging, engaging, relaxing, satisfying and so much fun. Not to mention delicious! I can bake my own bread and make yogurt. And I can take common everyday ingredients and turn them into something special. When I'm doing all that, I'm too relaxed and happy to be anxious or depressed. Which is saying a LOT, bc I am bipolar and I have been both anxious AND depressed since early March of 2020. Hmm. I wonder why that could be? 🤔
What's your favorite thing to cook or bake? 🤩

I'm so sorry you're going this!! I realize that not everyone will want to run to God with their problems and some don't believe in Him. But that is what I do if I ever feel anxious because it the only source of peace I have ever found.
Same! :love
I love to get a cup of coffee and sit outside and watch the birds and squirrels run around.
Yes!! And we have a wild rabbit that has been hanging around. Fun to watch her, too.

IMG_8259.JPG

...my rooster, Patriot, ran after this little fellow one day determined to mate with her. :he The rabbit was not fond of the idea and ran into the woods. 😅

Right now at dusk watching the fireflies light up the backyard in the evening is beautiful!!
😍

Reading is wonderful to be able to jump into another world for a bit.

Gardening has been my all time favorite thing to do, it's so exciting to see things grow that you planted!
Yes!!!

Going for a walk at the park and watching all the happy dogs there. Releasing endorphins!

I learned how to knit and that has been relaxing while while watching a good show.

Calling a friend and just chatting is helpful.
🥰

And.... reading these truths are a HUGE help to me. 💜

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Philippians 4:7
and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Love those verses. 💕

ive been a little worried cus im trying to do everything right and i need to treat all of my birds for almost every desease just in case, my flock has so much wrong with it!!!! and i keep seeing things that feel elegal to see... like the other day, i saw my roo mate with a hen for the first time! or when i walked in the coop to see a hen lay a eg right in frount of my two eyes!!!
Hope treating your birds goes well! We just had to dip my flock to get rid of mites / lice. Finally got rid of them, I think. This year has been awful. Killer gnats, stubborn raccoons, mites / lice, and lost three chickens this year (two possibly to the gnats, and don't know what happened with Tiny a couple of days ago). It's been a roller coaster.

I was also shocked the first time I saw both of these things. 😅

Back
Top Bottom