Hobbling chick

IICEman

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
I have a 2 week old leghorn chick that seems to be hobbling around. It eats and drinks and gets around and doesn't get picked on at all. It leg stays flat on the ground when it walks. What could be the cause of it? Could it be broken?

It's the black and white/yellow chick

I had a Red Pyle bantam chick that was similar to what you are describing. She even shuffled backward as if loosing her balance. I at that time read somewhere that it may be nutritional and medication in starter. Are you using medicated chick starter? The information I read said that the medication can block the niacin absorption, so I went to the dept. store pharmacy and picked up multivitamin drops that are made for infant children with eye dropper top. I began putting 5 to 10 drops in the tray area of their waterer. I noticed that she showed improvement, if I remember correctly, between 24- 48 hours. She went on as if never having a problem at all since that time. I'm not certain this is your problem. On the flip side, it seemed to perk them all up. I still have 8 birds from that batch and still going strong :)

I'm not sure if it is medicated. I bought it from keystone mills. I have some poultry nutri-drench, do you think that will work or should I get he multivitamin?

I'm not sure if it is medicated. I bought it from keystone mills. I have some poultry nutri-drench, do you think that will work or should I get he multivitamin?

Here try this old trick my grandpa told me back in the 1960's .........

Hard boiled egg remove the shell mash with fork and serve do this twice a day for a couple of weeks and watch the difference ...

What are you putting in the drinking water ?????

If you use medicated chick starter try mixing it 50/50 with Turkey Grow this will make a difference ....

This is how I feed this flock and one is now 12 years old ....

I have a black sex link that is no more than a week old and she is hobbling too. She is on medicated food and electrolyte/probiotic water. Can I add a pack of the vitamin water mix or does it have to be the infant vita drops?

Back
Top Bottom