Hole (pic) in my bluff orbington rooster!.

Eggxacly

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 12, 2010
I have a hole in my bluff orbington rooster. Under the wing right side. Limping some. Looks healthy otherwise. Getting worse over the past few days. Very sweet rooster. What do you guys think it is? Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• 16173321900719083186540981476158.jpg
    16173321900719083186540981476158.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 12
Are you treating it in any way? Do you k ow how it happened? I would definitely rinse it out with a saline solution then apply some plain neosporin (without pain relief) is there a smell?

I've been giving him extra nutrition. Yes he has a bad smell. At first I hesitated to move the feathers cuz then the flies would just get to it. It was much smaller. I do not know how it happened.

Yikes, rinse with saline or clean water if you don’t have saline, spray with vetiricyn if you have it, generously apply non medicated neosporin. Could you’re boy have been attacked by a predator or another rooster? That looks like a bite, my hen just got attacked by a dog and the wound looked similar. I’ve read in many places that keeping the wound moist is key to healing.

Also, may consider penicillin g intramuscular 300,000 iu injection to counter infections. I gave .25 cc per dose
I got mine at tractor supply, along with 3cc syringes and 20 gauge needles. It cost less than 30 bucks and the bottle is huge. I gave for 4 days hoping that’s enough. I hated giving the shots because she was in pain and had huge back wound. But I had to do something. Here is a helpful article

https://thechickenchick.wordpress.c...llin-for-wound-care-in-poultry-and-waterfowl/

I've been giving him extra nutrition. Yes he has a bad smell. At first I hesitated to move the feathers cuz then the flies would just get to it. It was much smaller. I do not know how it happened.
Ok, bad smell usually means infection. You need to being him inside. Flush the wound out very well with a saline solution, neosporin that hole up, and probably start him on an oral antibiotic. The only dosage I know is for tylan 200, not sure if that will help with this infection or not but the dose for that is 0.06ml per pound.
You need to bring him in though and keep the wound clean until it starts to heal.

Back
Top Bottom