holes dug under chicken coop ID?

I am thinking it could be a chicken snake....but who knows. I haven't seen it. I filled the hole up with water this morning. It was a fresh dig from last night.

If you have seen both a raccoon and an opossum already it is probably one of those coming back for free food.
Get the holes covered up asap before they break in.

Burying hardware cloth a foot deep all the way around should help keep them out.
They cannot break in. I have a 3/4 " plywood on top of 2 pallets off the ground & the wire is 1/2" holes. Impossible to break in.

Might be a skunk? I currently have one that digs in through a 3-4 inch hole. I have pictures from a game camera.
I've tried lining the edge with some large rocks but he still managed to dig in. Been meaning to get a charger and install some electric fence. Probably doing that this weekend.

I vote rat. Could be a small ground hog, though little motivation for a ground hog... though they do like chicken feed. I've recently discovered that there are rats in my yard: garden, wood pile, HK mound. Have not seen any tunnelings in/around chicken run... yet. Squirrel, chipmunk... See if you can set up several different types of traps. Of course keeping safety of other critters in the forefront of your set up. Good luck. Rats are wary, and smart, so you may have a difficult time catching one.

Edited: Weasels are found in all 48 states. You are not likely to see one... but you will certainly see their damage if you don't build your coop to exclude them. I don't think they are burrowers. They use holes left by other diggers. Though I could be wrong here. I've been told they are not climbers, yet a google search showed footage of one climbing down out of a tree. If not a climber, how did he get up so he could then climb down?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom