holy cow...HELP!

aclee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Amesbury, MA
So I can't even believe it...I hatched a chick! I put 3 eggs into lock down...mainly cause two were brown and I had no idea what I was doing...it didn't seem like any were in the brown eggs, but something was for SURE in the white egg...I had seen it swimming. So I locked them down, and last night one was cheeping (just the white egg) and today..IT HATCHED! I didn't have very high expectations, but it did it! Now I really don't think anything else will hatch, and for the next couple days, this little guy will be alone. He is still all wet, but since he's a loner can I take him out and puthim under a light etc? He keeps getting stuck up against the egg carton. He is cheeping SO loud.

I can't even believe I hatched a baby! He will have some friends in a few days as I have someone else hatching eggs for me, but right now I don't want him to be all alone...

Give him a small mirror and a stuffed animal in there, and don' t give up on the other eggs- they may hatch, too!

He will be very floppy for a day or two, so just know he can't control his movements and it's okay if her gets lodged against things- if he has a soft item to snuggle he'll be happy. The peeping can be an indication of being too cold- read this: http://www.examiner.com/x-9873-Kans...know-if-your-brooder-is-the-right-temperature

okay, I think it might have been the fan in the incubator that was making him cold. I put him in a little box with a red light on him and he's on a towel and he quieted right down and is resting. When he gets up and is more mobil I'll worry about a mirror and stuff. Right now I just wanted him to stop being so distressed and peeping constantly. Thank you so much for letting me know he was cold!

Hi! Hope all is settled down now- make sure you put the red light at one end or in a corner so the chick can regulate her own temps- you don't want her to get too hot any more than too cold. Keep a thermometer at chick level somewhere in there so you can have a good idea of the general temps, which you'll want between 95 & 100 for about a week.

Back
Top Bottom