holy cow...HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aclee, May 31, 2010.

1. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    So I can't even believe it...I hatched a chick! I put 3 eggs into lock down...mainly cause two were brown and I had no idea what I was doing...it didn't seem like any were in the brown eggs, but something was for SURE in the white egg...I had seen it swimming. So I locked them down, and last night one was cheeping (just the white egg) and today..IT HATCHED! I didn't have very high expectations, but it did it! Now I really don't think anything else will hatch, and for the next couple days, this little guy will be alone. He is still all wet, but since he's a loner can I take him out and puthim under a light etc? He keeps getting stuck up against the egg carton. He is cheeping SO loud.

I can't even believe I hatched a baby! He will have some friends in a few days as I have someone else hatching eggs for me, but right now I don't want him to be all alone...

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Give him a small mirror and a stuffed animal in there, and don' t give up on the other eggs- they may hatch, too!

He will be very floppy for a day or two, so just know he can't control his movements and it's okay if her gets lodged against things- if he has a soft item to snuggle he'll be happy. The peeping can be an indication of being too cold- read this: http://www.examiner.com/x-9873-Kans...know-if-your-brooder-is-the-right-temperature

3. aclee

aclee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Amesbury, MA
    okay, I think it might have been the fan in the incubator that was making him cold. I put him in a little box with a red light on him and he's on a towel and he quieted right down and is resting. When he gets up and is more mobil I'll worry about a mirror and stuff. Right now I just wanted him to stop being so distressed and peeping constantly. Thank you so much for letting me know he was cold!

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Hi! Hope all is settled down now- make sure you put the red light at one end or in a corner so the chick can regulate her own temps- you don't want her to get too hot any more than too cold. Keep a thermometer at chick level somewhere in there so you can have a good idea of the general temps, which you'll want between 95 & 100 for about a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by