Holy Geez! Ideal is sold out of brown egg layers until when???

sbarab

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Conroe, TX
I am starting my 4th summer season raising home grown eggs. I purchased my first batch of RIR chicks and the hens are getting tired. My hens some 30 odd have been giving us maybe 1 egg a day for the past 2 months. Not even enough to fire up the ol' bator. It is time to raise another batch of chicks to replace them.
I was hoping to order some BAs and BOs.

I was thinking that I'll get them and have them in the brooder at the same time my kids get their broilers for the county fair (March 1). Guess I should have planned earlier!

I know! I was shopping Tuesday and everything I was looking at said available for the next several ship dates, all through Feb and part of March. Then yesterday, bam! Every breed is sold out until May?!!!!!!! EVERY BREED?!! Can't even order them for a future ship date. Geez, what happened to just updating availability?

I don't bother trying to place an order for mail-order during March through June. These retail hatcheries are up to their chins trying to fill orders from feed stores who are all having "Chick Days" of one kind or another. There are literally thousands of such stores, all of whom place huge orders through corporate buying.

If I want hatchery quality chicks in spring, I just get them at the store. If I want something special, I prefer a breeder.

Click on the "notify me when available" option and enter your contact info.  If you're not ordering large quantities, you'll likely hear from them soon with a request to call within a certain time period to place your order.  They will put lots of breeds on backorder like that but it doesn't mean they don't have any available, only that they don't have enough available to open the floodgates to online ordering.

x2. I got an order from them a couple weeks ago, every breed I ordered was listed as unavailable on their website. So I clicked the notify me button and put my info in. I had an email from them that same day saying they had the breeds I wanted and I could call and place my order anytime :)

I agree....they must have been taking all of the BYCers orders!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom