Holy Heck, What Happened????????????

nomoq

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Elk Grove CA
I have a secret to share.......

Six months ago, I thought you chicken people were weird.

See, the back story is, I am a hard-nosed, big tough guy (ie:325lb prison guard, fighter). I bought six chickens simply to get cheap eggs and to appease my desire to be a little more self sufficient. I would read your postings about your "babies" and your "girls" and scoff.
I would smirk as I read your stories about spending hours watching your flock, and the joy you got hand feeding them or just watching them scratch and peck. And as for heart ache over a sick chick...come on, its just a chicken, buy another!

Well.......I must apologize...

This big guy now gets it 100%...I have fallen for six of the cutest featherd friends God has created. I love watching my girls peck in the yard, scratch in thier bedding and I now get more pleasure in hand feeding them crickets than I do watching Ultimate Fighting!
What the heck happened!
smile.png

I now an an un-ashamed chicken father and I love my flock. I once thought that the second a hen was done laying, it was into the pot and off to the feed store to buy another chick. Now...i'm thinking I will let the old ladies live out their stay. Dont get me wrong, I know I may have "put one down" in the case of injury or disease, and I have no doubt I could put one in the pot if we needed the food, but no longer do I treat them with a sense of detachment.
This chicken raising has taken ahold.....
I cant wait until I can post pics!

Jim

Congratulations! Now you can be 'afflicted' with chicken math! You know...more chickens, and more chickens, and MORE chickens!

Love my chickens, too.

deb g

We know exactly how you feel. We are first timers in raising chickens and also got 6 babies 17 weeks ago. Since then the6y have really taken over a portion of our lives and to the embarrasment of everyone who knows us, we actiually treat them like children. We really get a great deal of pleasure just watching them but going into their run with a treat for them is really the best. Good luck with your small flock and continue to enjoy the best stress reliever I think there ever was.

Don

My husband fell head over heels for our chickens, too. There's nothing wrong with that. I like watching him out there talking to and taking care of our pullets when he doesn't know I'm watching.
smile.png

AWESOME Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
I feel the same way about my ladies, they are each so different and unique and are cool to be around. They make you laugh and give you food, what could be better?

I love it! I read your post out loud to my husband, we had a good laugh. I am new to chickens too, I went all out and bought 25 chicks almost 9 weeks ago. I got a couple of 'cock a doodle doos' from my roos recently and it made my day! I spend hours outside with my chicks (protecting from predators) and I feel blessed that I am finally not sitting in front of the computer all the time any more but actually enjoying the outside once again. I recently lost two of my babies to a predator (accidentally left the garage door open) and I was heart broken. Now I am looking to get some rescue llamas to protect my flock. After that goats, then pigs. Can't wait for eggs!!!

Back
Top Bottom