Home made treat ball for horses? Can I DIY this?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone! I have recently purchased 2 treat balls of amy horses, to use, while in there pasture. Since we can't ride all of them at he same time, it is a good boredom buster while they are waiting for there herd to return. I loved the design! It was perfect and the horses love them! The only problem, is we have a mini herd of 6 horses, not all ours, and if everyone wants a chance to try the ball, then we need more balls. The balls are $20 each and I am wondering if there is a cheeper way to DIY one! I know that you can make chickens treat balls with water bottles, so how can we try and make a durable, DIY horse ball for supplements, and/or hay, without spending a bunch of money, on the real thing! Here is a picture of the treat ball I want to recreate! Thanks for the ideas in advance! Avery
1601573664705.png
1601573685651.png

I've made a similar one by cutting a hole in an old jolly ball
I have thought about this too, the only issue or flaw with this design, is that if you have left over feed in there, and water or rain gets into the ball and gets the extra feed wet, then there is no way to reach in and scoop it out or clean the ball. Then the grain or supplement gets moldy, and the only way I can thing of getting it out is to sit it upside down in water for a few days. I think that is the only flaw in the balls design, which I want to fix when I make my own. I have thought about making them out of 1 gallon buckets with lids, but they are close to $50 for 4 buckets on Amazon. Thanks for the idea though!

Back
Top Bottom