1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Home raised eggs vs. Store eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wombat, Oct 6, 2009.

1. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
  2. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Actually I'm just really glad I raise my own leafy greens! There is so reason they should be a problem as long as the pickers have proper sanitation. The fact that they apparently don't really grosses me out.

3. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    We bought a bag of the "pre-washed" lettuce and my family refuses to wash it before they eat it. I keep telling them, Did you see them wash it? Do you trust them to wash your lettuce? I know I certainly don't. So, when salads are made in the house I wash my lettuce and they eat theirs out of a bag... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I recall hearing that some of the really odd medical conditions that came out of the gulf wars were tracked back to poorly handled/stored lettuce. Scary stuff. We grow our own greens and vegetables, but I'm always really careful to wash the stuff we buy during the winter.

5. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    As far as lettuce goes. If I don't grow it I don't eat it! Call me crazy but that's how it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by