Homeade Chicken Treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by somissemilyy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    What do you give your chickens? Do you ever just go in the kitchen and start making them things? What would be some good things to concoct with laying feed and scratch? What's your chickens favorite food? Haha, just trying to start a new thread! Thanks, I plan on using everyone's input. Hopefully you can get some ideas too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. danielviger72@yahoo.com

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Hollis Center, Maine
    lol funny I do this all the time.. Every sunday I make them Oat meal..mixed with something.. everything from corn to lima beans.. they LOVE IT.. warm cereal on a cold day.. More often than not.. I mix up layer pellets with scrathc.. add some hot water.. and walla chciken heaven!!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I usually mix up any of the following:

Sunflower seeds
    Oatmeal (or rolled oats)
    Quinoa
    Amaranth
    Flaxseed
    Corn
    Peas
    Raisins
    Barley
    Wheat
    Rice
    Potatoes
    Apples

Love making new "recipes" all the time. . . I usually just mix them into little cakes by using water or a sweet liquid to make the mix work like a mold, but sometimes I actually cook something up too.

And then of course one really fun treat to heat up and watch them enjoy - Popcorn. Oh man, it is so cute to watch them pop that stuff in their beaks, let it burst all over the place with a neat little crackling noise, then watch them chase down and compete for the individual particles. [​IMG]

4. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Haha, I am so going to have to try the POPCORN one [​IMG] Thanks for all the ideas!! [​IMG]

5. crazy4chix

crazy4chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    I cook up a batch of brown rice. When it cools, I shred up some zucchini, carrot, apple, some flax seed and mix it all together. It is like a rice salad!

6. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Quote:Just gave me a great idea !!!!! Thanks

I'm going to make them some PopCorn Balls for the holidays !!! Maybe add in some scratch etc !!!![​IMG] That way the hubby will keep away from them !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by