Homeade Chicken Treats?

somissemilyy

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Coldwater, MS
What do you give your chickens? Do you ever just go in the kitchen and start making them things? What would be some good things to concoct with laying feed and scratch? What's your chickens favorite food? Haha, just trying to start a new thread! Thanks, I plan on using everyone's input. Hopefully you can get some ideas too!
wink.png
ya.gif
clap.gif
jumpy.gif

lol funny I do this all the time.. Every sunday I make them Oat meal..mixed with something.. everything from corn to lima beans.. they LOVE IT.. warm cereal on a cold day.. More often than not.. I mix up layer pellets with scrathc.. add some hot water.. and walla chciken heaven!!

I usually mix up any of the following:

Sunflower seeds
Oatmeal (or rolled oats)
Quinoa
Amaranth
Flaxseed
Corn
Peas
Raisins
Barley
Wheat
Rice
Potatoes
Apples

Love making new "recipes" all the time. . . I usually just mix them into little cakes by using water or a sweet liquid to make the mix work like a mold, but sometimes I actually cook something up too.

And then of course one really fun treat to heat up and watch them enjoy - Popcorn. Oh man, it is so cute to watch them pop that stuff in their beaks, let it burst all over the place with a neat little crackling noise, then watch them chase down and compete for the individual particles.
big_smile.png

I cook up a batch of brown rice. When it cools, I shred up some zucchini, carrot, apple, some flax seed and mix it all together. It is like a rice salad!

Quote:
Just gave me a great idea !!!!! Thanks

I'm going to make them some PopCorn Balls for the holidays !!! Maybe add in some scratch etc !!!!
ya.gif
That way the hubby will keep away from them !!

Back
Top Bottom