Homegrown vs store bought

think of it this way....

would you rather eat a 3 day old Mcdonalds cheeseburger,
or your own "special seasoned burger" fresh off the backyard BBQ?

yeah, backyard eggs are so much better!

When the hens go on strike with the eggs, so do I! Eggs have always been one of my favorite foods to eat, even the store bought ones before I started raising my own, today, you could not pay me to eat a store bought egg! The taste is fuller and richer, (like comparing instant coffee to brewed coffee), the yokes are alot deeper and brighter in color from deep yellows to bright oranges, the whites are alot firmer and definitely have a taste other then fried crispies around the edges from the oil or butter it was fried in! Store bought eggs leave a distinquished after taste in your mouth when you are done eating it and you try to figure out what that taste in your mouth is; (because they are at least 90 days old) with a farm fresh egg, there is no awful after taste, you know what the taste is that you are savoring in your mouth. (because it is fresh!) The only time we do breakfast out anymore is at establishments that we "know" use farm fresh, free range eggs. I leave my eggs out on the counter for a maximum of 30 days, that's if they last that long, and all the characteristics of freshness are still there, cords on the yolks, firmness in the whites, and that unforgetable flavor. And did you know that for each day that an egg is sitting at room temp. it ages a week? So if you leave it out for 10 days, its like 70 days and still fresh! Kinda scary to know that the eggs they sell in the stores are at least that many days old, and older as they have lost of the characteristics of "freshness" but still palible to eat. No thanks.

The yokes are a beautiful orange color and stand up higher then store bought. It is also more difficult to break the yoke by accident when cracking open fresh eggs - I think I've only broken one in the last 3 months. The most surprising taste difference is the egg white, it tastes creamer then the store bought eggs. Like others have said they are also great for baking. I have never noticed a strong egg taste from them just extra yummy. I don't eat store bought eggs any more.

Crack N' Egg :

Farm fresh eggs...hhhmmm....Yolks a deeper in color..usually a deep yellow orange. Also the yolks usually are much larger in size. The taste is rich and creamy, best for moppy moppy's with fresh whole grain bread, or fresh blueberry sausage.
droolin.gif
:drool:drool:love:love

Oh sorry, I just had breakfast!!
gig.gif

No, seriously. Eggs from chickens that get to free range and that you get to feed taste sooooo much better. The eggs will even taste a bit of what you feed your chickens ie: garlic, basil, etc, etc. ...
tongue.png

I thought this was my imagination! I used to give my gals clementines (they loved them) but the eggs started tasting a little citrusy! Not good! They normally taste so delicate and buttery! Maybe that's why a couple of folks here complained of an "eggy" taste, they should watch what they're feeding them. To me the store bought eggs are the ones that taste "too eggy", my gals eggs are creamy and buttery tasting, especially when they are used in the first 4-5 days!
droolin.gif

I love, love, love to bake, and everyone who tastes my desserts just can't believe how delicious they are! They want to know my secret and when I say "fresh, homegrown eggs" they laugh and reply, "No really, I want to know".
lol.png
They just don't get it!
DH and I had a friend over for breakfast a little while after the gals started laying well and he kept saying, "What kind of spice are you using in these eggs? I've never had scrambled eggs taste so delicious!" I forgot that he didn't know about the hens in the backyard and was racking my brain trying to figure out what was the huge difference! I named off my cooking methods in detail and he kept saying "No that's not it", finally it dawned on me that he'd never had fresh, free-range chicken eggs before! I laughed so hard when it finally dawned on me that it had nothing to do with my brilliant cooking methods!
lau.gif

Store bought eggs have more sulfur smell and taste and the whites taste....well...stale. The eggs taste musty to me.

My eggs have more clarity, a nuttier, buttery taste with hardly any sulfur smell. The egg whites actually have a flavor...also buttery...but are so stark white compared to store bought. Think rich, creamy texture that tastes best when sopped up with homemade bread.....
droolin.gif

Really no comparison to store bought flavor at all ~to the discerning palate. Like comparing the taste of whole milk to 2%....just pales in comparison.

My kids and I love the difference!!!! Plus, if you free range, omega 3's, half the cholesterol, vitamin d, the color, they are so great!!!!!!!! In so many ways!!!! Heck, my 4 year old daughter hated eggs, hatttteeedddd them, until.....dun...dun...dun...she had her first fresh egg, now she eats them all the time, I tested her, threw some store bought , she took one bite and spit them out!!!!
bow.gif

Thanks everyone. I love eggs, even the store bought kind. Now you have me worried that once they do start laying that I'll begin stalking the coop, listening for the egg song.

I think farm fresh eggs are richer in flavor, prettier to look at, lighter (no strong old egg sulfur-y flavor) and more humane. That last part is SO important to me.
Oh, I wanted to add a reminder for you to ALWAYS crack your egg into a different bowl before putting them in your batter! Sometimes, sometimes they are not perfect. This is always a shocker to first timers. The industrial egg business candles their eggs and the imperfects go into your baked goods.

Last edited:
CoupDeville-I thought it was just me I'm a little confused too
hu.gif
I agree with everyone else-creamy-beautiful rich larger yolks and this past year when I've baked everyone comments on my cakes-cookies-breads-how great everything is and what did I do different-fresh eggs!!! I now wonder what they thought of my baking before when I used store eggs.....
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom