1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Brooder

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by koakritters, Mar 5, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    SO after looking at all the pics on here of brooders, i figured it would be pretty easy to make one.

I took my old rabbit cage that was once used for a one legged duck i had (i'm given anything and everything that has a 'problem' with it... ) and cleaned it up real good. then i took some thin wood and with my dad's help since i can't cut straight, i cut the pieces to fit securely in 3 of the sides for warmth, painted them gray, and zip-tied them to the sides. and found a place for it in my room!

i'm going tomorrow to get stuff for it, am i missing anything on my list?
    heatlamp- got one already
    feeder
    waterer
    chick starter food
    bedding/shavings
    something for them to play on

what else? i've never had more than 2 chicks at a time and always raised them in an aquarium, but with my new found obsession of hatching eggs i figured i should go bigger. [​IMG]

here's a pic, what do you think? does it look okay for little chicks?

[​IMG]

2. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    That ought to work just fine.[​IMG]

3. chickpeaz

chickpeaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Central PA
    Looks good! Excellent repurposing. [​IMG] Just make sure you have something besides the cage wire to clamp the heat lamp to. It might be kind of close even at first, and as they get bigger you'll want to be able to move it farther up from the cage floor. Maybe find some way to attach a board or a piece of PVC to the side of the cage, so you can raise and lower the heat lamp on it as needed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by