Homemade electrolyte mix "bad" for healthy chickens?

akhadley

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
I just made my chickens a homemade electrolyte mix (water, sugar, baking soda, salt) and when trying to find the recipe I used and pint it into my Pinterest account I found a website that says:

"ADVISORY: This solution should not be given to healthy chickens who are not suffering from heat stress or dehydration."

So... I'm just wondering why this might be? I feel somewhat worried now because my chickens weren't showing visible signs of being dehydrated or super hot but I do live on Guam and it does get very hot and humid, so just thought I'd give them a little pick-me-up for the day. Guess I'll take it away from them at lunch.

I'm just curious why it would be so bad to give this to a healthy chicken? Thoughts?

You should only be giving "electrolytes" to your girls during the heat of summer time. It helps reduce their body heat. This time of year? I wouldn't advise it at all.

Well, I live on the island of Guam so it is kind of always summer here. It never gets below 75 throughout the whole year unless there's a storm. A regular day is between 85-88 F with 80-90% humidity. Not sure if that qualifies for providing electrolytes?

It's not for everyday use because too much sodium, potassium, or glucose may cause even more of an electrolyte imbalance in a chicken who is not dehydrated. Sodium and potassium imbalance can affect the heart and kidneys. But people who live in very hot areas such as Texas or Arizona in the summertime sometimes use electrolytes during the very hot days above 95-100 degrees F. At most, though I wouldn't use them every day, but maybe every 2-3 days if over 90F. What is bad though, is that most brands of poultry vitamins include electrolytes, and when many need to treat a vitamin deficiency, they are given sometimes unneeded electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom