homemade incubator wiring Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dbjay417, Apr 18, 2009.

1. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    I'm trying to wire a PC fan to run from the wall outlet.

I have read that I need an AC/DC 12v adapter with a minimum of .33a to match the specs of the fan.

Is this true?

Have any of you done it differently with success?

also, what do i do with the 3rd wire on the PC fan?

I have red, black and white.

In my experience red would be positive, black negative, and a green wire would be a ground, but wth is this white wire?

The guy at the PC shop said it was some kinda censor wire, but I don't actually trust the locals to know what they are talking about, as they tend not to, even if it technically is their job to know.

2. Chicksdigit

Chicksdigit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    Wire the Black and red and cut the white off. 12v Adapter and it will work great.

3. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    ...if you want to slow the speed of the fan down then use a lower voltage wallwart....

Ed

4. dbjay417

Dec 14, 2007
    I did a google search and some fellas on a marijuana grow site said they had success with any old cell phone adapter.

So i tried that with an old cellphone adapter and an old PC fan i had.

If it burns out or shorts for whatever reason, i have a brand new fan on standby, I'll just go to radio shack and get the appropriate adapter.

I think the one i used was a 9v, so its relatively close in terms of voltage. Closer than the 5v and 6v adapters which is what i have mostly.

Thanks for your responses.

Another quick question though. How long should i test run my bater before putting eggs in it.

i know its got to be at least long enough to make sure the temp and humidity is appropriate and stable, but should i run it for a few hours just to make sure the fan and/or lightbulb can run indefinitely without burning out (within reason at least)?

5. keith burns

keith burns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    i am new but imo a full day and night will it working 100% and add eggs.but i am new ...

this is what i will try.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I just wired a pc fan with a 9 volt adapter and it runs great.

7. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got mine hooked up to a 9 volt wall wort, but if you want you can also use a 9 volt battery. This is my back up should the power fail, which wasn't a normal concern until the incubator was plugged in. Don't 'cha know we have had 3 very short power outages since that moment? Oh yes, the demon Murphy is stomping around my 'bator![​IMG]

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:This is the way you wire it, rumage through your kitchen junk drawer and find an old cell phone adapter, the wiring is the same, it will work like a charm.

AL

9. dbjay417

Dec 14, 2007
    thanks guys, I got it wired up and running, but I'm having an issue with heat now.

I'm using a 60 watt bulb and can only get to 98.3 degrees. If it was mid to high 99, I could stomach it, but i think a low 98 is too low for my own comfort.

I am using a 35 gallon rubbermaid bin with aluminum foil insulation glued on with spray adhesive. I used milk gallon caps to make washers to plug up the hole that i made for the PVC egg turner bar, and now I'm out of ideas, and only 1.7 degrees and 3% humidity shy of perfection. i know using a higher wattage bulb will put me over the top now that i've added all these insulating features.

Are there any tricks that i can use to help close the gap?

10. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Reduce the volume.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by