Homemade Rodent Control..
Everybody throws buckets away! Why?
They take years to breakdown in a landfill.
Some many uses. So many Applications.

Look at the prices of Bait Houses at TSC! Yow-sah!
If you need several of them, there goes your car payment for the month.
Just buy the Bait. That is your only expense if you have a imagination and are handy. And are not in a hurry to fill up the landfill so they need to make a new one.

First 2 photos are of the outside of the homemade bait houses. Holes drilled into the side bottoms. Small enough so chickens can't get their heads in but rats and mice can. Buckets have to lids!!!!
View media item 7893528View media item 7893527Third photo is the inside view of the bait house. A strip of wood wedged tight. 2 screws with some flat washers to fasten the TOM CAT BRAND BAIT sold at TSC in a pail. The baits have holes in them. So screw down the bait block with the washer on top. Not too tight or the block will break.
View media item 7893532
Note : The photos were taken while having to refill the trap.
The Rats ate all the bait up in the pictured bait house example.
You have to monitor the contents because once the rodents find the bait, they will tell their buddies and they have a fabulous "Going Away Party"!
The bait makes them thirsty so most of the time they wonder off property and die in search of a water source.
Doesn't have to be a clean bucket as well. It's just for rodent control, not a livestock feeder.
We have made about 20 of these of a long period of time of course. Placed them randomly around the farm. Except where the smaller chickens are of course.
We are winning the War On Rats... Cheaply.

Hi! I'm so glad you made this thread. :D

I take after my dad and love to build things! I don't spend much time on the TV or computer or phones and what not, I'm mostly outside with my chickens and building stuff, The only problem is i'm 13 and i don't have a good paying job to buy things i would need to build with,
So i started going through our second "Hay loft" Which holds most of our junk wood. I really wish I took pictures while building my brooding box but i just only have pics of after it was finished. I was so proud when i finished the brooder since this was one of the first things I've made properly by myself, I had one broody hen hatch a clutch of 16 chicks in it already and have another hatching a clutch of eight duck eggs which are currently hatching now! Anyways, enough about that! Here is a pic I took of the build I'll try and get more~

(Had to put a towl over it so other birds wouldn't mess up the roof)
View attachment 1059485 View attachment 1059483
I hope your contribution to this thread inspires more young people to be as creative and motivated as you.
You just Made my day!
Good job!!!
:goodpost::clap:clap:clap:clap

I don't know if paintings count, but doing it yourself is a lot better than buying a picture or copy of a painting at the store!

The last one is what I'm currently working on - a
picture of my chicks!
***PLEASE DO NOT copy any of these pictures for any reason
View attachment 1059476 View attachment 1059477 View attachment 1059478 View attachment 1059481 View attachment 1059482 View attachment 1059484

That is real talent!!!! You should water mark the photos so they don't get copied without credit to the wonderful creator... YOU! Awesome!!!
:love

I am what a lot of people would consider a cheapskate.
I needed a place to live, so I built a house. bought a book and followed the directions ..
I eventually became a home builder contractor..
I needed a plow for my garden.
they cost too much, so I took an old inexpensive quack digger and made a "chisel plow" . then I removed all of the spring teeth and rearranged them to make a cultivator . then I took all the teeth off, bought a couple of discs and made a potato hiller.
I build chicken cages, 3 coops, and a chicken brooder hood..
before I have to buy anything, I take the non-working item and try to fix it , first..

I repurpose things like garage door tracks and rollers to make sliding doors .

I built a 12 ft x 25 ft fly pen out of old ginseng drying racks.

I have pictures of all these things and more..

I just ordered 4 new windows for 3 of my bedrooms. they wanted $93.oo each just to varnish the inside casing. no thanks, I can do all of them for less than $20.oo and two day's drying time..

........jiminwisc........

Millers Farm, I wish I have a "love" button to click for you instead of just a "like" button! Egg-cellent job! :bow:love
Thank you so much! you really made my day! :hugs
i hope you have an "Egg-Cellent" Day!

I hope your contribution to this thread inspires more young people to be as creative and motivated as you.
You just Made my day!
Good job!!!
:goodpost::clap:clap:clap:clap

Thanks a ton~! i'm glad i did :D

I plan on posting some more here on this thread. I recently got a job that pays 9.75$ That's off the books so i'm saving up for a summer project :celebrate
I'll be making a coop for some bantams I'm planning on breeding next year.
In the mean time i'll be drawing out plans until then :woot

My husband and I built our coop out of a wooden swing-set that was already in our yard when we bought our house. We ended up building an extension for the hen house, but other than that it's stayed the basic A-frame.
14666034_10153782561001809_2671891450639264141_n.jpg

14690840_10153785630726809_3666381670554542075_n.jpg

15875045_10154006522286809_2023099442456045712_o.jpg

My husband and I built our coop out of a wooden swing-set that was already in our yard when we bought our house. We ended up building an extension for the hen house, but other than that it's stayed the basic A-frame. View attachment 1060123

View attachment 1060124

View attachment 1060125
Reuse is awesome! Kinda looking at a possibility if you can muster up a little elbow grease and exploit you imagination.
BTW...
We live in Florida, the last pic with the snow cover freaked me out. I panic when our temp drops with our critters exposed to the elements while we have our home toasty with our fireplace! BURRRRRRRRH.
Animal lover is showing right now!
Awesome!

Reuse is awesome! Kinda looking at a possibility if you can muster up a little elbow grease and exploit you imagination.
BTW...
We live in Florida, the last pic with the snow cover freaked me out. I panic when our temp drops with our critters exposed to the elements while we have our home toasty with our fireplace! BURRRRRRRRH.
Animal lover is showing right now!
Awesome!

We are in South Carolina and that was our one real snow of the year. (We might get a few flurries at night that don't stick a handful of times). All of that snow was melted and gone by the end of the day! I loved it while it lasted but can't imagine dealing with that for much longer.

Back
Top Bottom