Homeschooled? how come there are so many on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homeschooling is fine if you work at it with your kids. The kids get a better education than in many of the public schools across the country. I worked with 4-H for over 23 years and I did many speciality clubs that included homeschoolers. This gave them the chance to mingle with other kids, other than what was in their homeschool groups. Where I was there were 3 very active homeschool groups. The high school boys that were homeschooled even played sports with the area high schools.

My best 4-H clubs were my 3 poultry clubs. Our county was so long that we had to have 3 clubs to get to everyone. It made it nice because we could have our own Poultry and Rabbit Shows. Lots of compitition and not be farther than 45 minutes from home. I hosted all the shows at an area Sporting Complex that also hosted our County Fair. It was in the dead center of the county and right on the interstate.

Homeschooling is what you make of it and the kids have every oppurtunity to be socialized the same as public school kids.

All this being said, I was a teacher for over 18 years, teaching EH kids (emotionally handicapped) another word for kids that give teacher problems in class so they get rid of them. My class was suppose to only have no more than 15 students (3rd thru 5th grades) I had 24, my aid was suppose to be fulltime with me all day, what I got was an aid to relieve me for lunch and a 1/2 hour so I could catchup paperwork. Tenure....its a joke....my retirement... $148 a month. Teachers are loosing their interest in teaching because they have lost the rights in their classrooms. The students have more rights than teachers do. Would I do it again....sure...I know I gave my kids a reason to like school. Getting beat up by a student that was 13 years old and should have been in middle school was the turning point to my teaching career. I was told that I should "handle my students better and this wouldn't have happened" by the school board. This was after I had just recieved commendation from them for having the highest scores and most promotions of any special ed class for the 5 year. If my daughter had still been in school at that time I would have pulled her out so fast and started homeschooling after that. Instead left myself, couldn't endure anymore of the political stuff that had nothing to do with the betterment of the students. ONLY MORE MONEY FOR THE SCHOOLBOARD!

Sorry for the long read, but this is a subject close to me.

Last edited:
If I were to fix the public school system....

Every child would get use of a laptop on either a buy here pay here basis or a renting basis. It will be loaded with their text books. Also it will have programs to help them with their studies, for instance it will go with their level if they excel at addition it moves them to subtraction however if they do not excel at it then the program recognizes this and continues with addition. These programs will update teachers and parents daily through an email system. Also the laptops will have a writing/projecting system kind of like a nintendo ds (they have special pen to write on the tablet and it projects on a special screen so that way everyone can see) That way there is still class room intereaction. It eliminates paper waste. Teachers sould also require work books for students to improve writing, spelling etc and that way they can have a "hard" copy of their progress.

The laptop/work book system would cut waste and poundage from their back pack.

I would make school all year round. There would be exceptions however you get one week off a month. In that month parents can opt to keep their kids home/babysitter/vacation whatever or they can sign their kids up for school related field trips/tutoring classes/or workshop programs. Each school district makes the decision to which weeks they want off they do not have to only have the last week or first week. However you must do three weeks in and one week out consistantly.

All schools will require a uniform. You can wear shirts that are white/black/or school colors. They can be button up/long sleeve/t-shirt styles. Pants must be jeans blue/black or khakis/slacks, pants must also not hang off your butt. Shorts and skirts will be jean blue/black or khaki/dress (blue/black/school colors). Shoes must be dress shoes or sneakers. No sandles and no heels.

Schools are on a pay to play basis and this is for all extra curricular activities (debate-football-drama-etc.) They can raise their own money or parents can play.

No junk food or junk drinks allowed on school grounds. School served meals will meet all nutrition requirements.

No more "free" periods or study halls. Children must do something constructive. Tutoring/yoga/basketball/etc. There will be a 30min time frame where each kid can do something constructive that interest them. No sitting around or sleeping.

Homework will be kept to a minimum. Schools right now forget that kids need to be kids or some kids actually have to work in order to survive.

If a child can do college level calculus then the school needs to find a way for them to do that math. Not tell them that they can't.

College would be either free or discounted (significantly) if you go to state in the college you reside in. Also if you test out of a course then you've taken that course and you can move on.

If a kid places at 12th grade level then put them in the 12th grade or let them graduate earlier. Bored kids equals trouble.

I think that if so many kids were allowed to move ahead with out limitations then we would probably have alot more highschool and college grads.

There are more but that's just some of it.... I know these changes would be expensive but these are our children and we need to realize that one day if we are in the hospital and need a doctor that we paid for their education. What type of education would you want that person to have had?

Quote:
When it comes to education it is never too exspensive... Current cost of public education per person from kindergarten through 4 years of college is almost 10 K a year. That is for 16 years of schooling. So if you knock off the last 4 years at 20 K per year and public schools only cost about 6500.00 a year per child. I would be willing to pay higher taxes if it went for education; just think of how much education an extra 1000.00 per year in taxes per person would pay for...$350,000,000,000 extra a year.....

Paying for education isn't really the fix. You need to get the faculty and administrators back on the track that they are there for the education of the kids. Too many have lost that persepctive. It is unfortunate, especially when I see the young teachers coming out of college and getting jobs, they are so inspirational and gungHo those first few years, then they too fall into the hohums and forget that they are there for the kids and it isn't JUST A JOB. My DIL is a 2nd grade teacher, this is her 3rd year and she is falling out of the enthusiastic bunch and into "its just a job" catagory. It is hard to watch, but the school system is making them that way and it is the kids that are suffering.

I find it interesting that some describe homeschool kids as socially retarded. I have had two college professors call them very mature! I could always go into a restaurant without worrying about my 3 acting up. I find that people were relieved when they realized I didn't have an "up-in-your-face" kid. I'm sorry, I just can't take that! One time I had my 3 kids plus 2 other homeschooled kids with me and went into a pizza shop. I saw that "uh-oh" cringe on the worker's face. How surprised she was that they ate and spoke quietly and were not running through the place destroying things! She even commented on how nice they all were! I mean she was really relieved!!! My own doctor commented several times when they were younger on how they were able to sit quietly and occupy themselves in the waiting room while waiting for a sibling to get done. One time 2 of them turned two chairs around to face a window and sat quietly watching and discussing the cars and trucks that were going by. It was cute. I'll never forget that. People were amazed how contained they were! So call them what you want, I would never trade them for anything!! I now have 2 graduated from homeschool and I am missing them so much I can't even tell you!
hit.gif
They both have jobs and vehicles and are becoming more independant every day. Yep, wouldn't have done it any other way!

Quote:
I think it's the handful of parents who put barely any effort in educating (or even parenting) that gives the rest of the homeschoolers a bad name. It's so much easier to blame homeschooling for a socially awkward and undisciplined child than it is to blame the parents.

Quote:
Although we get a "cost of living" raise, it comes out to be less than $20.00 a month after taxes. That was suspended last year. Now, because of the economy, it is not smart to go get a higher degree to get a raise because you may lose your job. You cost more to employ with a higher degree.

I know it's crazy.Yet, as you have heard many teacher say, we don't do it for the money.

Quote:
I think it's the handful of parents who put barely any effort in educating (or even parenting) that gives the rest of the homeschoolers a bad name. It's so much easier to blame homeschooling for a socially awkward and undisciplined child than it is to blame the parents.

I think you are right, I have had dealings with many many homeschooled kids and there was only one in all those years that I would have like to string up, but it wasnt' his fault, it was his parents. Yes he was homeschooled, but only because he was ADHD and the mother wouldn't let him be put on medication, so the school system had no other resource left but to tell her she would have remove him. At that time he was 7 and hanging from the ceilings if you know what I mean. She started homeschooling him and fought the doctors for 2 more years on the medication issue,, by the time he was 9 he was doing harm to himself and she had no other resource but to use the medications or institutionalize him. Once on the meds he was acting great, but the wildness was still allowed by his parents, had nothing to do with the ADHD. He behaved for me at meetings or he knew I wouldn't take him with us.

By the way he just graduated college and told everyone it was because I cared about him and made him behave that he knew he could do it. He was in my 4-H clubs from the time he was 9 til he was 18 and we got him to graduate homeschooling 12th grade. It did take him 8 years to finish college but the learning was different and he had to learn to study on his own.

Wow!!! Great topic!!! I homeschool and I would love to share my thoughts...as a child, I went to private school my whole life. It wasn't until just these few past years after doing lots of research, I found out that about 80-90%(or more) of the teachers in a private school are not certified and some don't even have a college degree. I am a certified teacher. I taught second grade in a public school for several years. My very first year, I had 36 children in my classroom! You would not believe the words and things that would come out of these children's mouths. The worst part was I would send them to the principal's office and she would send them right back with a little pink slip--I can't even say what they said because this is a family thread and I don't talk like that, but trust me, it would make you blush and horrified to think that a 7 year old could talk this way...and this wasn't in a bad neighborhood! After we had our first child, I continued to teach and we found a close by daycare--$200/week took a chunk out of our budget. We soon found out we were pregnant with our daughter and decided that it would be best for our son and soon-to-be daughter, as well as financially for me to stay home with them. When my son turned 4, we decided to send him to private school--he went there for 2 years. I just recently found out that neither of his teachers had a degree in education! Mind you, we were paying good money for his education. We now have 4 children, so private school would be an outrageous expense. We have been homeschooling for 2 years now and my children love it. In our house, we present education as something that is a constant. We don't want our children to think that they have to learn just for tests or that learning only takes place during little blocks of time through the week. Learning happens in our house from sun up to bedtime and we've set up a house that facilitates this. I know I'm rambling here and I do apologize!!! lol
lol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom