Homeschooled? how come there are so many on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I chose to start homeschooling when I was still living up in the Chicago area for several reasons. There were two elementary schools in our district and while we were a block closer to the one, my kids were suppose to attend the other one. Well, I found out that if I enrolled my kids late, the chances were high that I would get them in to the closer school (Havlicek), and that worked the first year I put Katie into school, and it worked again the next year when she was going into first grade and her sister was going in to kindergarten. But not the third year. My kids ended up at Prairie Oak which was six blocks in the other direction, and was by far the worse of the two schools. I had heard horror stories from other parents that had their kids in that school, and I dreaded sending my kids there. Well, the school turned out to be everything I feared. It had been completely knocked down and rebuilt about 10 years earlier, and while it looked new, it was a disaster inside. It was overcrowded to start with, and the lady at the front desk is just lucky that parents didn't jump the counter and slap her silly! I mean she was beyond rude to both the parents AND the children. She was downright mean at times. I hated any dealings I had to do with her. Then, in the classrooms, while Katie's second grade teacher was ok, she was limited in what she was allowed to do with the kids. Field trips? Not a single one. Recess? Forget it. The school was run like a prison. I had been a room mom for both my girls at Havlicek and I had helped to host the holiday parties, I went on field trips, I was an active part of my children's learning experience. The teachers knew me, they knew my children's particular needs, it was comforting. At Prairie Oak it was a completely different story. Parents were not allowed inside the classrooms and my younger daughter's teacher didn't throw holiday parties. The kids were lucky if they got a cupcake at Christmas and they had to sit in silence at their desks and eat it. When I sent cupcakes for Katie's birthday the mean lady at the desk wouldn't even allow me to help her up to the second floor with them. Instead she expected my 7 year old to haul some 40 cupcakes up to the second floor by herself with no help from anyone. My poor daughter had to make 2 trips and nearly dropped one box. I was angry. I think what clenched it for me was the fact that my younger daughter's teacher kept sending letters home telling me that she was acting up in class and disturbing the other students. I knew that wasn't like my daughter so I took her aside and I asked her what was going on. She said the teacher would give them a page of math to do, and my daughter happens to be above grade level in math, and she would whizz right through the page in less than 10 minutes and instead of the teacher giving her MORE work to keep her busy, she told my 7 year old to just sit there and be quiet. My daughter tried, but seeing her classmates struggling, some for up to an hour to do their math, she wanted to assist them and was getting in trouble for doing it. So, at conference I discussed this with the teacher, a woman who had been teaching for more than 20 years, and she looked dumbfounded when I told her she should give my daughter MORE work to do and not give her time to just sit there. Shortly thereafter my daughter began telling me that her teacher was giving her another paper when she finished her first one, or giving her a book to read. Problem solved, and I solved it instead of the teacher! I was frustrated because both my kids learn above grade level yet they were being forced to wait for their classmates to catch up, and while she's ahead in most everything, my older daughter has always struggled in math and I was afraid she would fall behind. I have a friend who's daughter attended Prairie Oak for the first 5 years of elementary, from Kindergarten to 4th, and she struggled in reading so badly, yet none of the teachers had the time to work with her one on one due to the overcrowding, and their solution was to stick her in summerschool, EVERY YEAR. She struggled in summer school and barely passed each year. And I mean she BARELY passed. Then her mother moved to a new school district and she switched schools. The new school she is in was what she needed. She is thriving there and her grades went up and everything. But I saw the potential for disaster with my own girls, so I made the decision to pull them out and homeschool. My girls did so much better with homeschooling than in public school. We moved here and now they take advantage of me. They seem to think that because I am mom, school isn't to be taken seriously and they don't want to listen. So I told them it's back to public school for them next year. So far I don't think they are taking me seriously, but I am dead serious. I'm going to look into the school systems here and see how good/bad they are, and if I am satisfied I will give them a chance. There isn't as much of an ovecrowding problem because we're in the country, but funding is an issue, so I'll have to see. I can't afford the fancy homeschooling programs and I haven't found good supplies that I can afford online, so I've been using my own methods, and while they are working, I could be doing better. I'd like to keep homeschooling my kids cause I think they are better off, but I need a more structured program for them. But I'm still glad I got them out of that school system. It was horrid. I wish public schooling was better and that the poor teachers aren't being stretched so thin. I don't know if there is hope for it or not. I have a friend who is a 3rd grade teacher in the Chicago Public School System and works in a very poor, and very bad, neighborhood, and she said the most frustrating thing is that the classes are so overcrowded and so many of her students come to her either not able to read at all, or barely able to read, and she doesn't have the resources or time to work with them all one on one. Top that with the fact that they are closing the school this year so as of next school year, she is out of work. It's bad even for the teachers. I wish it was better. Government funding needs to deal more closely with these issues. I can hold out hope that Obama will help. I really hope someone up there does.
fl.gif

I'm mom to three awesome daughters ages 11, 7 and 15 mos. We have about an acre of woods on a lake in East Tn and live in a log cabin! We have been homeschooling our oldest shortly after the beginning of her 3rd grade year at public school. I was very involved at the school, serving as a room parent and on the PTA. Our decision wasn't completely due to any issues in the school, although my oldest was showing signs of frustration and her behavior had started to decline (she was performing poorly in reading too, which only added to her frustration and the teachers). Being around kids in the classroom at that age, being a scout leader, and filling in as a Sunday School teacher from time to time I came to understand that children are like flowers: they all bloom at different times!

I love to read and adventure my way through life and the idea of my kids just "going with the flow" and performing within mediocre (at best) learning parameters started to nag on my conscience. I wanted them to love to learn! I hoped they would be curious about how we developed as a country! I wanted them to love to read!

Now, after almost 3 full years we are hatching and raising chickens, reading books that make a person think vs. telling them what to think!, learning real history, and focusing on the lost art of communication!

The girls kind of get sick of each other from time to time, especially during the winter so we are looking into a co-op program for next fall. I am so thankful to have the freedom to teach my kids and raise them up to be awesome adults!

LA~Poulet :

I think that parents should be teaching things like that to the children, maybe having those classes as an elective in later highschool years would be good, but not required as curriculum.

This is just main problem that a public school faces. Most parents don't spend any time "teaching" their children. We as teachers are told we much teach to the "test" so we can have high test scores. We are not allowed to teach the students to think. Students are not taught common sense. They are not taught how to think, just to answer. Years ago, parents taught common sense, teaches taught how to think. Kids were smart. You learned math by doing real life problems. for example, I have a dime. I can get a 5 cent Coke and see a 5 cent movie. Now, kids are given a $20 and told to "bring back some change".
barnie.gif

When we take band trips I have the students give some of their money to the chaperons to hold because if I don't, some of them will go hungry after the first day!​

Many parents do teach though. We spent so much time working with my son. In return I got a note from the school asking that we stop working with him. He was advanced and bored and it would be easier for him to socialize if he is at the same level as everyone else. That was in kindergarten.

In first grade he was acting up alot. I insisted he was bored. We had talked and talked and talked. I came to check his class, talked to the teacher...anything I could think of to help. I asked about extra work or harder work and she said her hands were tied. She had a strict curriculum set up by the school. In the end she took my suggestions to let him read extra AR books when he finished his worksheets. By the end of the year he was in the pre GT classes which finally let him be assigned some more difficult work. Thats the problem with our schools. Parents are discouraged, teachers are discouraged, and kids are losing out.

My mom had that problem with me when I was kindergarten. Luckily the teacher gave me extra tasks like cleaning up toys or wiping down the tables. it was at least busy work. They wanted to skip me two grades (which i wish my mom would have done) but instead she thought it best to keep me with kids my own age.

Flash Forward

In the seventh grade I had a problem where I read too much.... Apparently if I read while the teacher is teaching then others thought they could do it and they would get behind. So instead of telling others to do their work they punished me by taking away my books. I have up that year and became a slacker. I wish I wouldn't have and am determined to make sure that my daughter doesn't become bored.

you may want to send extra workbooks with your kid to class that way when they get done with teacher work they can practice other types of work. You can buy them at walmart or teacher stores.

I am home schooled. I love it! I have never been in public. And thats ok! My mom whants me to go to summer school to see what its like. And i dont whant too! LOL I love beening home schooled! The sad part is that people think i dont socialize! I dont have that many freinds but that me. Its not like that cuz i dont socialize its cuz i am crazy! LOL I am in youth group at my church, and i help to teach the children for church too! I help at the old folks home, and go to the ymca. This is just some stuff we do! And i want to tell every kid in here thats home schooled that its probably one of the best things that will ever happen to you!

Chicken Girl

P.S I go to paino lessons too!

Quote:
Not to be contentious, but these are members of this word... and in particular, your world. You have deal with the good, the bad, and the ugly...those you like and those you don't, those who agree with you and those you don't.

This world is filled with a cast of characters - much, much bigger than you can comprehend until you spend some time out and about. You will learn a lot about yourself by learning about other people in this world. Someday you will have to work...and you will either work for someone you don't like, or you'll have someone working for you that you don't like. You have to deal with these people somehow at some time.

If you can get all that from home-schooling, study away! It doesn't matter then.

Last edited:
By the way, my friend is home schooling her two young sons (twins that are 9 years old). One is doing age appropriate academics, the other doesn't read yet. Great news.

So...it's "working" for one, but not the other.

Both boys are social mis-fits, but Laurie (their mother) is thrilled with this - she feels they are wonderfully sensative, creative, and briliantly educated (even the non-reading 9 year old)...and are deeply mis-understood by their peers (soccer team, boy-scouts, etc). The peers are mostly annoyed with their crying and other such dramas during games, camping trips, etc.

Maybe home-schooling is a wonderful alternative in many situations. I don't know, my jury's still out...but...if she ever asks what I think, I'll be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom