Homestead Organics chicken feeds

Zoomom

Certified Cackleberry Consumer
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone used this food? I was going to buy it for my chickens as it seems to be the only organic option in Ontario.
[URL]http://www.homesteadorganics.ca/[url/]
But which should I use? the layer feed (and which of the two?) or the grower feed?

Chicken grower 18%, A high protein diet with a medium coarse texture for growing poultry until they are
ready for market. Contains corn, roasted soybeans, barley, wheat, flax meal,
minerals and oats.

Layer Mash, 16.5% or 18% For egg production or maintenance of adult birds (geese, ducks, chickens, turkeys);
very coarse with roughly broken kernels. Contains corn, roasted soybeans, barley,
wheat, flax meal, oats, minerals and alfalfa. The 16.5% protein will suffice for most
mixed farms. Some farmers start the laying cycle at 20 weeks with 18% protein and
then convert to 16.5% protein at about 30-35 weeks.

Now I am getting 2 Polish pullets 3 months old and 2 Rhode Island Red crosses that are already laying. My Polish rooster has to stay at the farm due to crowing and the city's noise by-law.
The girls will also get kitchen scraps and some free range time, but only under supervision on the weekends.
Thanks for any help.

I'm not to sure, they sound good to me. I think I would feed the grower with a calcium supplement on the side until the Polish start laying. You don't want them to get too much calcium just yet. I think they're not able to use up the excess calcium in their body and it can be harmful to them? I'm not quite sure, I do know to stay away from the layer until they're all laying. The hens that are laying will know to eat the calcium that is provided in a seperate dish available free choice for them. I hope this helps and that someone else will jump on here soon!!

Thank you for your reply. I am going to go pick it up this weekend. I have some other dishes I can put the separate calcium and grit in...

I bought a bag of McGearies Organic feed as it was recommended by MPC for feeding after chicks stopped being fed starter crumbles at 8 weeks.

I opened it today for first time - full of worms and moths and moth eggs.

I had it for a couple of weeks but I don't want to feed it to my girls.

Caroline
Jax FL

Quote:
I think this just answed my question from another post...

and for anyone considering buying their food (homestead organics) my chickens love it, it smells good and fresh, now I just can't wait to taste an egg
tongue.png
...don't want to sound like an advertisement for homestead organics, just really satisfied with their product!

I love this forum I get all the answers I need all the time!

Back
Top Bottom