Homestead Pizza Pie

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I post here because it's such a fine forum. You can find an answer to just about any bird related question you might have and some of the discussions are priceless. The discussion on Incubating Humidity alone was amazing and chocked full of information. So I add what I'm able and learn what I don't know. Good trade-off!

smile.png

BYC is a wealth of knowledge and your posts add to it.

I made the mistake(sarcasm) of spending some time on your forum.
That much information must be taken in small doses or I risk my head
exploding. You are adding pages to my "To Do" & "To Cook" lists.
big_smile.png

Someday I may have the courage to actually post there.

Quote:
I know what you mean, it seems that my "To Do" and "To Try" lists are always growing. The beauty of the internet is you can always find someone who knows more than you if you're a learner. I've tried to remain a learned all my life. From what I've read here you're quite an asset to BYC and would be anywhere you post.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone.

WOW!!! I agree with everyone. The pizza looks amazing, the stove is gorgeous, and I need to spend some time exploring your site. WOW! It bears repeating!

One of our last chilly, rainy days here this weekend.
Fixin' to put your pizza dough & pie into the oven here--thank you so much for the recipe! & love your stove & pictorial instructions!

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I post here because it's such a fine forum. You can find an answer to just about any bird related question you might have and some of the discussions are priceless. The discussion on Incubating Humidity alone was amazing and chocked full of information. So I add what I'm able and learn what I don't know. Good trade-off!

smile.png

and we love us some good looking homemade food
droolin.gif
Im thinking tuesday afternoon Ive got to give it a try. Ive got venison sausage but no bear, darn it.

Quote:
Frugal, I do like your stove and would still appreciate an answer.

I've had a few days break in the middle of lambing and kidding season on the ranch here so I've been on the net more than normal. However, we tapped 500 trees this weekend and the sap will soon be running and Maple Sugaring season will begin once more! And I'm in the middle of recording our latest CD and still need 2 more weeks of studio time to finish. All that to say I'm very busy but I didn't ignore your request. I just didn't have time for the type of answer your question deserved.

It's a Heartland Oval wood cookstove that you should be able to find at most any quality stove shop. Here's a pic of when I first installed it.

Heartland1.jpg

and with my thermosyphon hot water system it's cookin'!

I've installed a water jacket and a 42 gallon range boiler (storage tank) and my Heartland Oval wood cookstove is now heating all my hot water. In fact it will produce all the hot water I'll ever need as a by product of using the stove to cook my food and heat my home.

The installation is the same basic installation as found in Hot Water From Your Woodstove:

This is the most dependable method of heating hot water with a woodstove, although not necessarily the most efficient. A thermosyphon system relies on the idea that hot water naturally rises. This tendency moves the water from the storage tank to the stove and back. Because cold water is heavier than hot water, it falls to the bottom of the tank then into the waterjacket (where the fire heats it). Once the water is hotter (and therefore lighter), it rises back into the tank. This may also be called a “gravity-flow” or “convection” system.

If properly set up, thermosyphon systems work without any outside assistance from a pump or from the homeowner.

thermosyphon01.jpg

The lower pipe (on the left side of the stove) brings the cold water from the storage tank into the water jacket where it's super-heated and then flows out from the upper pipe (again on the left side of my stove) back into the top of my storage tank. When water is called for a mixing valve adds cold water to the hot and lowers the temperature to 118°.

thermosyphon02.jpg

Pressure and Temperature Relief Valves
I have 3 PTR valves installed in my system. They safely discharge underneath my kitchen if needed.

thermosyphon03.jpg

thermosyphon04.jpg

Water Temperature & Pressure Gauge
The water pressure coming into the house stays at a steady 15psi with the system being pressurized via gravity. In this picture the temperature is at 95° after being left unattended for 8 hours. During the course of a normal heating/cooking day the water temperature runs between 110° - 120°. With the temperature at 95° mid tank there was plenty of hot water for a long hot shower. I figure the temperature at the top of the tank is about 30° higher than mid tank.

thermosyphon05.jpg

Free hot water is very Frugal—I love it!

thermosyphon08.jpg

Did I mention...Free hot water is very Frugal—I love it!

I added a circulator to their standard installation because I have electricity.

01.jpg

You can see the circulator between the heat shield and the wall.
That's my wood cook stove set-up.

and I just got called to the barn because another one of my ewes is lambing!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom