Homesteaders

Anyone homesteading with a toddler? I don't get any of our projects done it seems, we've been here almost a year and I'm not sure I have much to show for it!
Well now I will say I've had four and I'm a firm believer in "Play pens". Seems today folks don't care for them but our grandparents weren't dummies. We also used to have one that you could expand out into a big circle. There was a chance of a pinched finger but I just did a little, have a look at the kid, did a little had a look at the kid, did a little................ and things got done.

I''m also not a big fan of laundry being in the basement. Ours is on the first floor. The wife worked nights and I was fine. Made dinner or she made it before she left, but Dad's got to help out if Mom works outside the home. So get yourself a nice play pen and set it up near where you are working. Drop in some toys and keep safe snacks and drinks in a cooler and take frequent breaks. You should be fine. Small progress is better than none.

Raised beds make gardening easy and you can do a couple of beds each day for weeds and tyeing tomatoes. (I hang rope from hay bales over the fence. I have mail boxes with tools (knife/scissors, etc. in side on the post nearby) near each gate. Planning is key to everything. Today while no kids, I'm older you see, so I'll plan to do a couple of things or more and if one gets done that's progress.

I'm learning to keep just enough chickens that I can easily care for. Still have chicks hatching with broody hens. Cheap and easy. I'll cull and give away the ones I don't want for replacements. If you don't care free chickens can be a god send. An ugly hen that lays is better than a Beyonce' who doesn't. The rooster might like her but males are stupid that way. :lau

If I plan to make jelly, I'll get everything out and set up and then the next day pick and squash the currants and cook them run them through a cheese cloth and put them in the fridge for the next. Or something like that. May pick and cook the berries first and then get the jars and canner out last. I'm working outside the home now too. I'm learning to budget my time. Time is money.

Remember plan, don't go anywhere without a pad and pen to write things down.

I wish you all well, life is good,

Rancher, got to keep moving, Hicks.

You can raise kids AND get things done. Like rancher hicks said, you gotta plan and work smarter, not harder or longer.

I had one of those front-side papoose pouches. I could do dishes and nurse the baby at the same time. Yes, I'm good at multitasking. I'm a mother, so, duh!

One of my babies was very calm and nothing bothered her. My other was always upset over the lighting, sounds, temperature, fabric texture, smells, you name it. Necessity is a mother too, so I "invented" a snug cap with attached eye and earwear that shielded my son from too much stimulation while holding him secured on my chest where I could be hands-free but still hands-on. He's much better now, almost 7 foot, lives on his own, has held the same job about 10 years now, and hasn't been in jail. I call that a win.

It CAN be done. It will be ok if the kids cry a little. They do adapt and it doesn't scar them for life nor turn them into axe murderers. You'll know when to intervene with them and when to let them work things out themselves, when to coddle them and when to encourage them to push further. And it won't stop when they start school, or when they move out, or ever. Don't forget to take care of yourself along the way. You'll be fine. They'll be fine too. :thumbsup

Thanks for all the replies :)

The playpen worked...before he was 1! Lol, I have a climber. A very serious climber. I suppose I could stick him behind the electric fence with the chickens....no? ;)

I absolutely need to plan better. By far that's a priority I haven't followed through with.

I've been able to tend a very small garden and a flock a chickens. It's just tough since we're still trying to establish things and figure out how we want to manage the property.

I had a rough collie (yup, like Lassie) before having my kids. I think Rex was about three when my firstborn arrived. He had been naturally herding anything he could, including geese and kittens since puppyhood, so herding children was no biggie for him. He even recreated the famous Coppertone advert with my daughter while hauling her by her britches back from the road. Rex was great at shoulder blocking them. And his ultimate trademark move was to sit on them then lick their ears. Oh my, I do miss that dog!

So, maybe you need a good herding dog!

So, maybe you need a good herding dog!

Lol, my dog is actually part cattle dog! (which I've herd;) can be a problem with children and nipping ankles) But she's never shown even the slightest hint of being a "working" dog. Maybe our next one...

(and for your viewing pleasure; our dog: )
IMG_8146.JPG

The other half is Bernese.

Oh my! @CLSranch How exciting! You want to know all the ways to get things moving? I retired from about 30 years of nursing a few years ago. I actively avoided Labor & Delivery, but along with having three kids I couldn't avoid learning some "tricks of the trade".

Back
Top Bottom