Homesteaders

@klopklop  Just to let you know - peppers have a 20 day germination.  Tomatoes have a 10 day germination.  So don't give up on the seeds if you don't have seedlings right away... 

We installed a pellet insert into the fireplace in the farmhouse we bought.  We were thinking wood, but the land we bought doesn't have a woodlot so no easy source of firewood.  We also are planning on staying here for the rest of our lives, so we are making this place low maintenance and easy.  The pellet insert will run on a battery if the power goes out, and it will run for 24 hours on a bag of pellets during the heart of winter.

I may have been generalizing when I said 'a few days' :)

I have started my own seeds for years but I don't think I've ever had 20 days to germination. Maybe my memory isn't serving me well enough haha

@klopklop Just to let you know - peppers have a 20 day germination. Tomatoes have a 10 day germination. So don't give up on the seeds if you don't have seedlings right away...

We installed a pellet insert into the fireplace in the farmhouse we bought. We were thinking wood, but the land we bought doesn't have a woodlot so no easy source of firewood. We also are planning on staying here for the rest of our lives, so we are making this place low maintenance and easy. The pellet insert will run on a battery if the power goes out, and it will run for 24 hours on a bag of pellets during the heart of winter.

Nice!

There's really nothing special to it...just cold pack~place the meat in the jar raw~with a teaspoon or tablespoon of salt, your pleasure, add water to about 3/4 of the jar and can for 90 min. at 15 psi. Some folks precook the meat and put it in the jar hot, along with the broth, and that takes canning time off and some will pour hot water over the meat to also cut canning time. Doing meat by cold packing cuts it down to a few simple steps and less worry about breaking jars by adding hot liquids/meat.

All you really need is a Ball Blue canning booklet for canning anything you'd want to can: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...anning book&qid=1457313969&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5

Can't get much cheaper than this one in the link and I prefer the older editions like this one, even older if I can get it. Everyone puts their own little twists on their canning and that comes with time, but the Ball book seems to be the standard for most canning.

I hope you do this and let us know how you like it and how it all turned out. I LOVE canned chicken....it can take an old gnarly rooster or ancient hen and turn them into something more tender than a young fryer.

Here's a great site for the novice....very clear and simple directions, with great pics, for various canned items. http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-chicken.html

I raw pack without any water added as the chicken makes it's own juice...I use 10psi so check your altitude first.

We also homestead we have over 20 chickens n five ducks we grow what we can and preserve everyting plus i make jewerly to sell on esty to help cover bills being i dont work at all. I love doing all this stuff my self its a grwat way to live. My days are long and can get hetic but i wouldnt change it for nothing best of luck on your venture.
Welcome to BYC. Now I'll keep this short as I've said this on the New York chickens lovers thread.

When DW worked in the hospital and she interviewed women she'd ask, "do you work outside the home". As I see it, women and men who are home keepers DO WORK. Sometimes harder than outside. Point is Dawn, you do work and never let anyone tell you otherwise.

DW worked both outside and inside the home. Seems to me the term "Housewife" should be banished from the English language. DW is MY wife, she's married to me not the house. She's a house keeper or home maker but not a housewife. (believe me this is short for me)

@Moonshadow, everytime I see your name I want to listen to Moonshadow by Cat Stevens.
big_smile.png

@everyone: set some more eggs today. Hope things work out better than last time. I do need to find someone to take care of things while I'm away. I will post chickens on CL though. Had a guy come yesterday but his cage was to small and he didn't show up today.

@Moonshadow, everytime I see your name I want to listen to Moonshadow by Cat Stevens.
big_smile.png

For you, Rancher Hicks.

Than and now.

0.jpg
0.jpg

When we sell at craft shows and fairs, we are often asked if we named our farm after this song. Actually, when we moved here almost 21 years ago, we were searching for a name for our new little farm. One August night I was up very late. Before I went to bed I looked out a back window. There is a small field. The moon was full; fuller and brighter then I ever saw in the City or suburbs. It casts such a brilliant light and dark, but beautiful shadows from the trees on the edge of the field and the little shed. I knew at that moment what we would name the farm...and MoonShadows Farm was born. Later, we gave that name to our business as well.

We haven't had major outages here and I am aware of using things or they dry up or rust. Just like my joints. :D    I figure in the old, old, old days if they killed a cow they ate beef alot for days on end or smoked it. I also expect many died of food poisoning. 

I'm concerned that we don't have a fireplace or wood stove for heat.  At least IF we needed it. We've had the furnace break in the cold weather. 

I'm not so trusting of my canning skills though so purchased canned food would have to do. Either that or grown in season. When you live not so far from the grocers it's not to much of a worry. If we lived in the country proper I'd do more I expect. 

no one to watch the chickens for a monthdegree we can and have to  provide for ourselves is different.  

If find there is no sense of community anymore at least where I'm at. Our pastor preaches it but it's hard to get folks to embrace the idea. The idea of caring for each other without expectation of payment. 

I'm at a crossroads of late so please excuse me if I don't get it right. I'm afraid of making the wrong decision. Pointedly, do I get rid of all my chickens so I can go south or travel to see the grandkids. We are a close knit family.  DW is going south and I'll be staying here. Next is my trip to AK and I hate to go alone, but have no one to watch the chickens for a month. Then winter will come and we're asked to come south for six weeks.  Imagine having kids who want you for that long.  

I don't understand how folks can move to another country and leave family. At least we have the option of going to see ours. 

I moved from another country and as you said every situation is different, I do get to see that side of the family every year and we chat nearly daily. As for your move down south and visiting grandkids, do it while you still can and enjoy. If you drive you can always take a few chickens and make it a project and learning experience for them as you teach them to raise chickens. If that's not an option you can always get a few chickens if you decide to come back to your place. Family is more important than chickens.
Don't forget to ask God for guidance.

Well I just planted my peas and Dad is ordering more any day now. Hopefully I shall have enough to freeze this year, or possibly can. I decided to plant the whole seed packet, did some on a soak over night and planted those in the garden and did some inside in my egg carton. Might have some difference in germination and I am ok with that. I just want peas and something green in my garden beds!!!!

I moved from another country and as you said every situation is different, I do get to see that side of the family every year and we chat nearly daily. As for your move down south and visiting grandkids, do it while you still can and enjoy. If you drive you can always take a few chickens and make it a project and learning experience for them as you teach them to raise chickens. If that's not an option you can always get a few chickens if you decide to come back to your place. Family is more important than chickens.
Don't forget to ask God for guidance.
I don't expect us to move permanently south as our church is here and we've strong ties. I sold 7 C. Rocks today and expect to sell the rest. You are right that family is more important than chickens and I have to remind myself of that over and over. I also have to remember how hard it was when I got sick a few months ago.

To everything a season. At time for chickens, a time to not have chickens.
old.gif

I'm not at the end of the road, just changing directions. Help me Jesus.

Thanks for the advice, it does help.
hugs.gif

For you, Rancher Hicks.

Than and now.

0.jpg
0.jpg

When we sell at craft shows and fairs, we are often asked if we named our farm after this song. Actually, when we moved here almost 21 years ago, we were searching for a name for our new little farm. One August night I was up very late. Before I went to bed I looked out a back window. There is a small field. The moon was full; fuller and brighter then I ever saw in the City or suburbs. It casts such a brilliant light and dark, but beautiful shadows from the trees on the edge of the field and the little shed. I knew at that moment what we would name the farm...and MoonShadows Farm was born. Later, we gave that name to our business as well.

Still, it's a nice name for a farm. It makes me smile.

Back
Top Bottom