Homesteading in the making: Recreating our home

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by vfem, Jan 19, 2010.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    We left an 850 sq ft condo in June of 2008 to move to a more rural area... bought a foreclosure with lots of damage and begun a hands on renovation with a budget of next to nothing! I'm very impressed how far we've come in such a little time. My major goals now are to add more gardens and get more chickens!!! [​IMG]

I wanted to share our progress in a quick snap shot, though step by step progress, emergencies, learning curves and such were documented several times a month for the last couple years on my blog. I hope if you find it useful for your goals you follow. However, for now, here is the quick run through from 2008 to now and our HUGE projects and changes. All on a budget (it was less then $10,000 but I think it came out close to $6500 now I try to find reciepts.)

http://fromseed.blogspot.com/2010/01/outside-of-our-house-is-done.html

[​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    After

More photos on the blog with the story!

Happy Homesteading!!!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Love it! Thats what i want to do this spring...make a cute little brick walk way.... [​IMG]

3. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Yes, gardens and chickens are the way to go, especially in today's economy!

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Wow! That IS a difference and looks great!!!

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks for sharing.I love seeing before and after changes of homes and yards. I am into my fifth year of digging up my yard.If we had the money there are so many things I would do like a sunroom or deck off the bedroom with a hot tub for dh,and a greenhouse for me.For now I have to be happy with the plants.I like your brick path.I have no path to my front door,and was thinking of brick or large circles or concrete.

I just stick with painting and caulking in the house though I have been thinking about putting in some flooring to replace nasty carpet.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattemma06

Enjoy your home!

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Thanks everyone... we just finished the siding on the house last weekend, and it gave me an overwhelming sense of accomplishment I have never felt before! I love my gardens, but my husband works so hard on his projects that I need to praise him as well.... He did all the siding himself with a little help from a friend and neighbor. The project began last April. But now I have gardens and gardens I need to have! We have 5 trees in our 'mini orchard' with at least 3 more we're going to add later. We couldn't have done this without this horrid economy being as its been

I also loved the progress pictures! Such a huge change that it slaps you in the face with a WOW! [​IMG]

Matt, I checked out your yard shots, you should really come join us over at www.TheEasyGarden.com! Its so fun over there and you can share all those great photos to inspire other gardeners. TEG site is BYC's sister site... I think there is a link at the bottom next to the other sister sites BYC has.

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    [​IMG] Way to go!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by