Homesteading Questions and Tips

Likely safer actually. The infrastructure in this country is crumbling. Governors, Mayors, members of Congress and the Senate can't do without their mansions. Come to think of it, company execs fit in that category too.
that's why when I move I am going up into the mountains and living off grid in West Virginia, seems like the best place to be in the east if there are major problems

We are not off grid by any means (though it feels that way with satellite internet!). But I feel safer up here in Vermont with my garden, chickens, wood stove, and abundant water. We’re a long way from self sufficient, but we move a little closer all the time. Our neighbor has a rooster so I think we would be able to have eggs and chicken for generations!

We looked into building off the grid when we moved away from the burbs a few years back. It’s really tough to do without major sacrifices or huge cost. Solar only works here for 7-8 months per year. While it’s crazy windy here, it’s not steady enough to provide consistent electricity without huge backup battery expense.
Having been through 3 separate power outages of over a week (ice storms, blizzard) - I’m convinced that in my lifetime we’ll see a loss for a month or two. That’s what we’re preparing to handle with canning, etc.

I know this was originally created long ago, but I am also looking for advice on homesteading.
We live in a busy suburban area outside of philly... we have a pretty big vegetable garden, built a hoop house this year for some cold weather veggies, recently purchased 8 chicks who are brooding in our basement for a few more weeks before they move to their coop outside...
I’d ideally like to move somewhere not too far away, my husband telecommutes from exelon in Kenner square, and my aging mother has recently bought into an over 50 community home outside of Lancaster. Also my husband and I have a child together and I have a son from my first marriage, and he a son and daughter from his first marriage... point being because we share custody with their other parents, we can’t move them out of their school district.... my son will graduate from HS in 10 years....
I’m also a little afraid that at that age, I’d be 47 and my husband 49, if we’d even be able to manage to do all the work necessary to run a modest homestead...
All advice welcome and appreciated!!

I know this was originally created long ago, but I am also looking for advice on homesteading.
We live in a busy suburban area outside of philly... we have a pretty big vegetable garden, built a hoop house this year for some cold weather veggies, recently purchased 8 chicks who are brooding in our basement for a few more weeks before they move to their coop outside...
I’d ideally like to move somewhere not too far away, my husband telecommutes from exelon in Kenner square, and my aging mother has recently bought into an over 50 community home outside of Lancaster. Also my husband and I have a child together and I have a son from my first marriage, and he a son and daughter from his first marriage... point being because we share custody with their other parents, we can’t move them out of their school district.... my son will graduate from HS in 10 years....
I’m also a little afraid that at that age, I’d be 47 and my husband 49, if we’d even be able to manage to do all the work necessary to run a modest homestead...
All advice welcome and appreciated!!
Only advice I can really offer - don't think of 47/49 as too old to do anything!

Nah, at that age you'll be in your prime, all things being equal and you stay in shape, don't fritter your health away smoking and drinking. I'm 68 and having issues now but I can still care for my chooks and tend a few plants. Plus I'm raising a teen grandson and spoiling my DH, so .... 47, pshaw. Life's justing started at that age.

Does anyone in here actually live a homesteading lifestyle?
I’m very eager to learn more and hopefully, eventually, live it myself.
We’re no where near “off the grid”, busy suburbia actually, I just want to do as much as I can now to live more self sufficiently. Hopefully in a few years, when our kids are done with school, move somewhere with more land, and have everything we really want

Nah, at that age you'll be in your prime, all things being equal and you stay in shape, don't fritter your health away smoking and drinking. I'm 68 and having issues now but I can still care for my chooks and tend a few plants. Plus I'm raising a teen grandson and spoiling my DH, so .... 47, pshaw. Life's justing started at that age.
I’m glad to hear it. My Dad was very healthy and fit for ages, but my mom has seem to go downhill soon after her 50s

Back
Top Bottom